Sign in to follow this  
BirdNestBen

Rod for Revo Stx

Well the Revo I'm buying gonna cost $$$$$$$$$$ so looking to spend around $50-60 on a rod for it.......

Hate to scrimp but times are tough......  need a rod for senkos, flukes, spinnerbaits, worms (texas rigged) ........

what do you think the best rod in this price range might be???  maybe could go $80 if a rebate is involved??????????

at $80, one of the new shimano clarus rods would be a good choice. if you look around, you still might be able to find the previous-generation clarus rods on clearance for $30-$40. like many people, i started out with a $35 berkley lightning rod and i'd still recommend them at that price range.

however, putting a $200 reel on a $50 rod just doesn't make sense to me. why not step down to the SX and apply the $50 you save toward the rod? the difference between the STX and SX isn't huge but the difference that $50 makes in your rod will be. at that price range, you can pick up a used powell or a shimano crucial or something along those lines.

I just got a Revo STX, its a sweet reel but... While mine spent its first week attached to a $70 Fenwick rod, I quickly upgraded. It seems almost wrong to put a $200 reel on a cheap rod. Kinda like going and buying a GLX spinning rod and throwing one of those Shimano FX ($15) reels on there. Kinda seems out of place.

Rod_Long's advice is sound, go for the SX and stick a bit more into the rod. You will be glad you did. Rods at the $50 level (unless you find a steal on the clearance rack) tend to be heavier than their higher dollar counterparts and you may not be happy with the way it balances.  I ended up with a Loomis Mossyback for the STX and put a Daiwa Capricorn on the Fenwick. Both combos balance well now. Keep an eye out for steals on sales right now, tis the season. Bought the Mossyback for $102 from a local retailer.

why not step down to the SX and apply the $50 you save toward the rod? the difference between the STX and SX isn't huge but the difference that $50 makes in your rod will be.

This is good advice.

But if you're looking to stay in your original price range, I'd recommend a Bass Pro rod.  The BPS Extremes go on sale a lot for around $70.  I think a 6'6" or 7' MH rod would do you well for those uses.

You could save $50 and step to the SX.  There is no practical performance difference between it and the STX.  You could save another $20 or so on the SX and buy an SC from Cabelas.  The SC is essentially the S model with a magnetic brake.   I have two SCs and they perform as well as any of the Revos.  They are my "most used" Revos and they may represent the best value out there.  With the money you save, you could buy a Fenwick HMG rod to put under it.  The HMG is fully the equal of the St. Croix Avid performance wise, and cost much less.  IMO, the HMG is also a "best value" rod.  

I concur with all these guys opinions.  Spend less on the reel and more on the rod.  It sounds like you have $250 to work with, maybe less.  Micro is right about the SC, it's a decent reel, very comfy in the hand, smooth casting and retrieve.  I also have 2 of them and really like them.  Unlike some others, I feel the Revo magnetic brakes are easily noticeable with small changes.....and very effective.

Micro, which guides are used on the HMG's??

Micro, which guides are used on the HMG's??

The HMG has Fuji Hardloy.  

If you could step down a bit on the reel, the '07 model BPS Johnny Morris Signature Series rods are on clearance right now for a little less than $100. Light, sensitive, Fuji titanium/SiC guides. I bought one Thursday and used it for the first time this morning. I'm rather impressed, especially at the clearance price.

If you can get an older clarus rod get the 7ft heavy one. I have it and it is an excellent rod. Strong, good taper, and sensitive enough for t-rigging. Great for any plastic bait t-rigged, never tried throwing jigs on it but I am sure it would work well.

I haven't tried this rod but a Shimano Compre seems like a very good deal. A little more expensive than a clarus but looks like a good rod. the 7ft Medium heavy extra fast rod will throw what you want to throw

Senkos,flukes,jigs,spinnerbaits, t-rigs etc.

The Shimano Compre really needs to be handled before purchasing. That's what I went to BPS to buy on Thursday, but it just doesn't feel good in the hand. I really expected it to feel more like my Crucial, but it doesn't. The lifetime warranty is nice, but it doesn't make it feel any better in the hand.

yeah it's tough to match up rods and reels without a big budget.....

Out of all the rods I do like the Fenwick HMG, checked out the Johnny Morris model- it's super nice...... and my fav is the Shimano Crucial.....

think I'm going to hold out till I can get one of these 3 at a good deal preferably the Crucial......