Sign in to follow this  
bjohnson

How far should you be able to cast a 1/2 oz. spinner bait with a LP baitcaster?

I just bought a BPS extreme combo today. I haven't got to fish with it yet, but I plan on going out tomorrow to give it a try. I have Abu round reels,  but wanted to try one of the low profile reels to see if I could get more distance with it.  So far, (just throwing it in the back yard) I love it, it is super smooth. The only thing I was a little dissapointed with was the casting distance. I cast it about the same as I could my Garcia Round reals. probably 20-25 yards.  Just currious as to what is about right, plus I am not used to the braking system or what ever the dial on the side is for.

Thanks for you comments and help.

I think 25 yds is a respectable toss for a 1/2 oz spinnerbait.  Could maybe go further but 75' isn't bad. Spinnerbaits are certainly not the most aerodynamic lures to throw, especially with big blades flapping around.  You'll get a little more distance as you get better aquainted with your new reel.

I believe the rod is a greater factor than the reel. Any reel is in the free-wheeling mode when cast so there's probably not a lot of difference between one reel and another, at least reels in the same price range. If you're getting 25 yards now that seems like enough distance for most any situation. Perhaps you might work on accuracy at this point. I think that would serve you better. ;)

Thank for your reply I was currious, after using old round reels this new little low profile one seems like a rocket ship! LOL

Thanks again

your breaking system does have an effect on your casting distance. set it  about half way and then  if your not having any overrun problems, then go slowly down from  there.

if your used to  throwing a bc then you should be fine about 3-4. maybe even1-2. this will be the  max your reel will spin.

maybe a heavier lure will impress you  on the distance, depending on the rod...but like the  other guys  said...25yds is  more than adequate for a 1/2oz  spnrbt.

I am not used to the braking system or what ever the dial on the side is for.

Thanks for you comments and help.

Disclaimer: I had not used a baitcaster in years until this year so feel free to disregard

Keep going lower until you start getting backlashes in flight and then go back up just enough to eliminate.

Its better to use less brake and smoother cast instead of "whipping" it really hard and trying to control the initial overspeed with more brake at least for me.

It took me a while to trust the brake and stop feathering the spool the entire cast. Now I only feather to drop the lure where I want it or to stop the spool at the end of the cast.

Kevin VanDam "Accuracy is more important than distance"