Sign in to follow this  
snapper G

why do people like to use reels with lower gear ratios when fishing with crank bait?

why do people like to use reels with lower gear ratios when fishing with crank bait?  If you ask me, it would make more sense to use one with a high gear ration.

Could some one give an explanation here??

:-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?  

Lower ratio = slower retrieve and more torque.

why do people like to use reels with lower gear ratios when fishing with crank bait? If you ask me, it would make more sense to use one with a high gear ration.

Could some one give an explanation here??

:-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

Use high gear ratio for rat-l-traps and low gear ratio for cranks with lips.

It's like the different gears on a bike.  You want lower gears for riding uphill so you don't get tired as fast.  I couldn't imagine deep cranking all day with a high geared reel.

5.1:1 for deep cranks, and 6.2:1 for shallow runners

at a natural cadence, a high-speed reel would retrieve the crankbait too quickly. crankbaits plane to the side when retrieved at a speed faster than they were designed for. either that or the fish just don't want it that fast.

a lower-speed reel allows you to keep a nice crankin' rhythm, plus it gives you more torque, making it easier. like someone else said, toss out a norman deep diver 22 and you'll see why.

I always just figured I could use my 6.4:1 and just crank it slower but I never thought about torque on deep divers.  I am just now getting into crankbaits though and not quite yet up to the deeper ones, 8 feet or less is about my limit right now.

at a natural cadence, a high-speed reel would retrieve the crankbait too quickly. crankbaits plane to the side when retrieved at a speed faster than they were designed for. either that or the fish just don't want it that fast.

a lower-speed reel allows you to keep a nice crankin' rhythm, plus it gives you more torque, making it easier. like someone else said, toss out a norman deep diver 22 and you'll see why.

I have the DD22 and have a high speed baitcaster (6.2:1) and a low speed (5.1:1) both have the same rod and line type. I like to use my high speed and i just reel slow.

(was fishing it Sunday)