Sign in to follow this  
The Rooster

Torn and don't know what to do, HELP!!!

Well, I was dead set that I was going to get a Bass Pro Shops Extreme baitcast reel and a Shimano Compre casting rod.......until today when I got the BPS Fall Angler catalog in the mail and see that the Extreme combo is on sale for $99.99!!! That's basically getting the reel for free when you order the combo cause the rod itself is that price when not on sale.

SO, I'm either going to get this combo, or I'm going to stick to the original plan and just get the reel for now, which is also on sale for $64.99 by itself. I can't afford to get the Extreme reel and the Shimano rod right now together though. What do you think I should do?? I guess it comes down to which one of those rods should be better, the Shimano Compre or the BPS Extreme.....any idea?? Do I get the Extreme combo now and have a great rod/reel, or do I hold out for the Shimano rod later cause it might be the best of the two??

I don't live anywhere near a Bass Pro Shops store so I can't look at the Extreme rod before I buy it. I already went and checked out the Compre in a local shop here and was satisfied with it's feeling though. Trouble is, getting the combo I really wanted will cost me roughly $155 plus taxes and shipping, but the Extreme combo by itself will be about $50 less and that's money in the bank!! What should I do?? :-/ For the record, I'm comparing the 6'6" length in the Compre and Extreme rods.....medium heavy power with fast tip action. I'm looking for a very sensitive rod to fish jigs, T-rigs, and occasionally spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, and want to use 14 lb. fluorocarbon line on it.

if i were you....

i would get the combo now. its a good deal.

then.... take that 50 bucks and put it toward a shimano rod in the near future. then when you get it, take your old extreme reel that you love and put it on the new shimano rod and then you can compare the two setups.

you can fish all next season with the two and when it all goes on sale again next fall, youll know more what you want. all you will be out is a rig that you dont like as much as the other... but itll still be a good functional rig. no  loss.

dont forget to factor things like xmas and income tax  rebates where you may end up with a new rod or reel or both. you said yourself you have to put your boat up for winter. plenty of time to get the other rig before spring.

if you get the combo now you can have both.

if you wait youll have to choose again.

just my .02 ;)

I've used several Compres and have an Extreme travel rod.  I like the Extreme OK as a travel rod, but if I could find a reasonably priced travel rod I would probably upgrade.  On the other hand, I've really enjoyed my Compres (the older brown blank models), but they're all 6'6" and I prefer 7' or longer, plus I've been whittling down my collection to just a few higher-end combos.  So all my baitcasting Compres are for sale.  I have a 6'6" M/F and 6'6" MH/XF left.  PM me if you're interested.

As I said in one of my other replies, the Extreme rods are adequate, but not great.  I use the 6'6" MH rod for jigs now and will be buying (getting as a gift) a new rod for jigs over the winter.  The extreme will be used for spinnerbaits/buzzbaits.

So, if I were you I'd buy the combo and also try and pick up the used rods from bassyak.  I really don't see how you could go wrong with that deal.   ;)  

Man, I just bought a shimano compre 6'6 MH fast action for 59.99 at Sportsman Warehouse.  I am very happy with this rod, great sensitivity and the power to back it up and stick those fish.

I'm looking for a very sensitive rod

I have one of the telescoping flipping stick models of the Extreme. It is a decent rod but I can say that "very sensitive" would not be a great description for it...

FWIW, I have never held a Compre

Man, I just bought a shimano compre 6'6 MH fast action for 59.99 at Sportsman Warehouse. I am very happy with this rod, great sensitivity and the power to back it up and stick those fish.

x2. I found my compre at Sportsman's for $55 and another SW sold them for $45. Hopefully you have one in your area. At that price you could get both. ;)

Hey Rooster, as fall is upon us there will be a lot of clearance sales and A LOT OF STUFF HERE ON THE FLEA MARKET, I know becuase I only buy discounted or used/in good condition stuff.

On this forum I have purchased; FENWICK Techna AV , in geat condition for 90 bucks ( Shipped), Fenwick HMG for (65/shipped) a few BPS Extreme Rods ( never more than 60 /shipper)

As well as numerous used BPS Extreme and Pflueger Trion reels and they were NEVER MORE THAN 50 BUCKS SHIPPED!!!

Have some patience, keep your eye on sites like Tackle Warehouse,Cabelas and BPS because the will all have great buys in the next couple of months.

Any reel you see posted in the Flea Market, Like BPS EXTREMES etc from CART 7 , Jump on the reels are always better than stated and he ships fast

Dominick

I thought about it some more and I really really want that Shimano rod so I'm not going to settle for something I haven't seen over something I know what it is just because it's a great sale price.  I'm definitely getting that reel though and I'm gonna look around to see what I can find on a rod deal for a Compre.  My brother in law lives within 5 minutes of a Sportsman's Warehouse so he can check it out for me and if they're on clearance, he can get one for me.  Then when I go to visit here in a couple of weeks I'll pay him for it and TAKE IT HOME!! ;D  

I thought about it some more and I really really want that Shimano rod so I'm not going to settle for something I haven't seen over something I know what it is just because it's a great sale price. I'm definitely getting that reel though and I'm gonna look around to see what I can find on a rod deal for a Compre. My brother in law lives within 5 minutes of a Sportsman's Warehouse so he can check it out for me and if they're on clearance, he can get one for me. Then when I go to visit here in a couple of weeks I'll pay him for it and TAKE IT HOME!! ;D

Now that is a plan! 8-) Hope that SW has them.  At half price Compres are an excellent deal. Did I tell you at another store I got a Crucial for $59?? ; ;) ;D

I thought about it some more and I really really want that Shimano rod so I'm not going to settle for something I haven't seen over something I know what it is just because it's a great sale price. I'm definitely getting that reel though and I'm gonna look around to see what I can find on a rod deal for a Compre. My brother in law lives within 5 minutes of a Sportsman's Warehouse so he can check it out for me and if they're on clearance, he can get one for me. Then when I go to visit here in a couple of weeks I'll pay him for it and TAKE IT HOME!! ;D

Now that is a plan! 8-) Hope that SW has them. At half price Compres are an excellent deal. Did I tell you at another store I got a Crucial for $59?? ; ;) ;D

I am extremely jealous of you guys finding these great deals and I live so far away from them (but still glad you guys are getting them anyway).  I read on here somewhere that someone found Clarus rods on sale 1/2 price and I called my tackle store here locally and they only had them 10% off.  The Clarus is the one I want for my spinning rod, I like the feel of it and I think the handle grip is nicer.  I don't like the cutout on the foregrip of the higher line Shimano spinning rods.  My hands ache sometimes from squeezing and the smaller the grip on the rod, the worse it seems to make it (may be getting some carpal tunnel developing).  The Clarus is large enough to suit my needs and it's also sensitive enough to work for what I need as well.  I'm getting the medium power with medium fast tip action in a one piece rod.  For the Compre casting rod, it's gonna be the medium heavy with a fast tip.  

I can tell I'm gonna become very particular about my rods, now that I am learning a bit more about them.  They say with knowledge comes sorrow but so far the only thing I'm sorry about is not making the decision to step up years ago.  

Hey Rooster, as fall is upon us there will be a lot of clearance sales and A LOT OF STUFF HERE ON THE FLEA MARKET, I know becuase I only buy discounted or used/in good condition stuff.

On this forum I have purchased; FENWICK Techna AV , in geat condition for 90 bucks ( Shipped), Fenwick HMG for (65/shipped) a few BPS Extreme Rods ( never more than 60 /shipper)

As well as numerous used BPS Extreme and Pflueger Trion reels and they were NEVER MORE THAN 50 BUCKS SHIPPED!!!

Have some patience, keep your eye on sites like Tackle Warehouse,Cabelas and BPS because the will all have great buys in the next couple of months.

Any reel you see posted in the Flea Market, Like BPS EXTREMES etc from CART 7 , Jump on the reels are always better than stated and he ships fast

Dominick

I'm actually going to be posting a couple in a few days.  Both will be $40 or less.

An Extreme ETX10 with the flippin switch and a Extreme EX.  That one is one of those Special extremes that is silver, not green.

Keep your eyes open.