Sign in to follow this  
snapper G

What knot to tie for a leader?

What knots are good to tie, when connecting mono to braid?

I've tried the blood not uni to uni and a few others, but on all of them, the braid seams to cut through the mono when I set the hook, it's costing me some good fish!

Thanks!

you must be tying something wrong because that's never happened to me before. The only time the knot breaks on my leader is when I get hung up and break it off intentionally. I use 30lb braid to 14lb fluoro with a uni to uni knot.

uni to uni. Should work fine if you tie it right.

The beauty of a Uni to Uni is that it doesn't cut into the other line.  Perhaps the issue is line diameter?  If the braid is significantly smaller in diameter than the leader, then I use a spider hitch knot to double the braid before tying a U2U connection.

I have tried them all and the Alberto's knot is what works best for me.

The beauty of a Uni to Uni is that it doesn't cut into the other line. Perhaps the issue is line diameter? If the braid is significantly smaller in diameter than the leader, then I use a spider hitch knot to double the braid before tying a U2U connection.

That makes seams, 50lb braid 40lb fluorocarbon (for snook)

There is only one leader knot as far as I am concerned. Opposing nail knot...line diameter does not matter... I have tied 2lb leader to fly line..I have never broken or made this knot slip, you can tie it without the tool, but for a couple of bucks the tool makes it foolproof and easy. JMHO

watch this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdQb958d28&NR=1

Ronnie

i have been using the uni-uni for a very long time,braid to mono/flouro. mono/flouro, and i have never,never seen the knot break.i've seen the line break before the knot,and after it.but never seen it break AT the knot. not to be a S.A. but you sure your tying it right? how many "turns" are you using? i usally use 5 to 4 ratio,5 turns main line,4 for the leader. i just re-read your post,if your braid is cutting through your leader you are not using a uni-uni,sounds like your using a clinch knot to clinch knot.

There is only one leader knot as far as I am concerned. Opposing nail knot...line diameter does not matter... I have tied 2lb leader to fly line..I have never broken or made this knot slip, you can tie it without the tool, but for a couple of bucks the tool makes it foolproof and easy. JMHO

watch this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdQb958d28&NR=1

Ronnie

Man, thanks a lot for that.  Looks like an awesome product.