Sign in to follow this  
BirdNestBen

Shimano Symetre 2500/ All Star Select Rod

Had a good sale at Dick's sporting goods... 20% off Shimano Spinning Reels..... was looking at the Quantum Escalade, but it was a bit pricey and not on sale.... so picked up this combo.... also had a $10 off coupon which helped....

was $49.99 for reel on sale and $49.99 for the rod.........

The rod is medium action/fast tip... just wondering if anyone has this reel or rod and how they like it???? May want to use it for a dropshot fishing/ and for small lures......

this doesnt answer your question on the rod.... but might i suggest the quantum incyte for your reel.

i have one and love it. best 65 bucks ive spent in years. u ca get them much cheaper now. theyre the top reel that ISNT a pt series.

check it here. u can find it cheaper than that....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0042470121675a&type=product&cm_mmc=CRR-_-RLP-_-121675-_-image_link&cmCat=CRR&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Yahoo&cm_pla=quantum%20incyte%20reviews&cm_ite=netcon

i recomend this reel so much on here it feels like i should own stock in it or something... lol :)

I have the same Shimano Symetre 2500 and All Star Select Rod you bought.

I love the Symetre it is a fantastic reel. The only fault I could find with it is the bail wire and the handle are kinda cheap for a reel of its caliber. These are problems they seemed to have fixed in the new models coming out.

I love the All Star Select rod, it has really turned me on to All Star as a company. The rod is just plain quality.

Now to the bad part. I had a problem with the Select and the Symetre as a combo. The Symetre just doesn't sit well for me on the Select. I tighten the reel seat all the way and the reel still has some movement, just a little but enough to annoy me. Because of this I have paired the Symetre with my St. Croix Premeir and the Select is now being used with my Pflueger President reel. I have to say the President feels like it was made to fit the Select.

The symetre is a fantastic reel.  I have one and love it.  And paying $50 for it is a real good deal.  I just looked at the new models this morning and they have me interested in picking up another one.  The winter is going to be tough to get through without emptying my wallet too much!!!

I have been using Symmetrys for years.  I have 7 or 8 of them in sizes 1000, 2000, and 2500.  They are very close to the Stradics that I have.  I think it is one of the best buys for the money.

Well I haven't fished with it yet, but casted it in the yard... very smooth and casts a mile.....

shorehugger--- thanks for the info. on the Quantum Insyte... that does look like an awesome reel.... mebbe when some funds come in I might buy one later on.......

Kikstand 454- I do have a president reel as well... mebbe later I will put the Select on it, and buy another rod for the Symetre....

I haven't had a chance to fish with it yet, but seems to fit Ok on the reel seat... guess I'll find out when I fish with it Saturday......

THe only thing I was disappointed in was looking for a tackle bag, and thought I could kill two birds with one stone... this rod had a free tackle bag offer, then when I look at fine print offer had already expired........

Well I haven't fished with it yet, but casted it in the yard... very smooth and casts a mile.....

shorehugger--- thanks for the info. on the Quantum Insyte... that does look like an awesome reel.... mebbe when some funds come in I might buy one later on.......

Kikstand 454- I do have a president reel as well... mebbe later I will put the Select on it, and buy another rod for the Symetre....

I haven't had a chance to fish with it yet, but seems to fit Ok on the reel seat... guess I'll find out when I fish with it Saturday......

THe only thing I was disappointed in was looking for a tackle bag, and thought I could kill two birds with one stone... this rod had a free tackle bag offer, then when I look at fine print offer had already expired........

Your welcome, you got Kik and I mixed up but I got what you were saying.

I got the expired offer also, scares me to think how long that rod was sitting on the rack for it to expire.

Hope is not lost!! Print the offer off their website, that one expires Dec 2009

http://www.allstarrods.com/as_promotions.html

IMHO those bags are crap. Worth it for free but not worth $7.95 for shipping. I quickly stopped using the one I got for buying an Ugly Stik awhile back.

I still use my Ugly Stick tackle bag. My Flambeau hard tackle box fits right inside it plus a folding stool and some rod holders.The Ugly Stick bag has a shoulder strap so I can lug all that stuff around hands free. Its very useful when fishing from shore.

thanks shorehugger for telling me of the offer........ just needing something to store plastic boxes in so this will work for that.... :)

Tried out the Shimano Symetre today... it is an awesome reel...... if your looking for a medium priced spinning reel check it out....

Fished it with flukes today, and it casted a mile, it's a very smooth reel..... and ended up catching one 3.5 lbs......