Sign in to follow this  
ptomacbass

spool shaft bearings?

Where are the left and right spool shaft bearings in a baitcasting reel?  My daiwa hyperspeed zillion says to apply the special oil that the reel comes with to the left and right spool shaft bearings after each use of the reel.

If you take the sideplate off you'll see the spool has a shaft that runs through the middle of it. I don't know about your specific reel, but in general the bearings are either on that shaft or they will be in the sideplates instead, which will have them separated from the shaft once the sideplate is removed. Some reels have bearings in both places. I have one that has 3 bearings on the spool shaft. When the left sideplate is off one bearing stays in it, and one stays in the right plate too (accessable by removing the tension knob), but one other one stays on the shaft itself with the spool during removal, on the side that makes contact with the pawl gear.

If you know what a bearing looks like then they are easy to find. They'll look like a little silver wheel and should turn very easily if you touch them with your finger. One drop of oil is plenty and I can't really see that they need it after every single outing. I don't do mine that often and my reel casts a pretty long distance just the same. Just recently I measured it's cast with a 3/8 oz. lure and was able to hit 120 feet distance. Hard to imagine that it would cast any more freely than that.

Ummm, on the left and right sides of the spool shaft?   :-/

Remove palm sideplate.  Remove spool.  There should be a spool support bearing in the palm sideplate, held in place by an E-clip.  There should be a spool support bearing on the crank side of the spool, held in place by a cross pin.

For best performance, remove bearings, soak in alcohol overnight to remove old lubricant, dry completely with canned air, add one drop (from a needle oiler) to each bearing and replace.

Where are the left and right spool shaft bearings in a baitcasting reel? My daiwa hyperspeed zillion says to apply the special oil that the reel comes with to the left and right spool shaft bearings after each use of the reel.

The Zillion has one bearing in the palm side ( right at the center of the magnet ) and one at the spool itself behing the pin. Those are the ones that you should put a drop of the oil that comes with the reel. According to Daiwa after every outing, I think this is overkill.

Have serviced quite a few Zillions... :)

The whole Zillion line runs CRBB's (Corrosion Resistant Ball Bearings) and BB's (Standard Ball Bearings) along with the RB (Roller Bearing).

Nothing really special that needs to be oiled that often or even oiled with the new oil they have introduced...

Tight Lines!!!!