Sign in to follow this  
burleytog

Weight isn't everything

Recently put a couple of rods on the scale. The results were interesting.

The rods in question were a Carrot Stix LTX 6'9 MH-F and a Kistler Helium 2 LTX 6'9 MH-F.

The Carrot weighed in at a whopping 3.5 oz. The Kistler was a block of concrete at 4.7 oz.

Put a Curado 200E on each and the Kistler fishes much easier.

It is all about the balance...for me anyway.  I am still poor and fish with Bass Pro rods and while they are heavier than most I can achieve pretty decent balance with them and it makes fishing all day a little more fun.

I agree, Burley.  I think I could use any combo all day and not have any issues with one combo tiring me more than another.  At least, I've never noticed any differences in the ones I've used.  We're not slinging sledge hammers here.

I think you misunderstood.  Weight makes a big difference and is a primary selling point for me.  I prefer light rods.

What I'm saying is that while the LTX weighs 1.2 oz. more than the Carrot, it balances a little better than the Carrot.  Adding one ounce or so to the butt of the Carrot would probably help a bit.

The Carrot balances much better with a super-light reel like the Revo Premier.  It was still just a hair tip-heavy, but not bad.  Would really shine with a Steez.

No, we're definitely not swinging sledgehammers, but weight does make a difference.

I think your scales are broken.  I'm no Kistler fan by any means, but I've held them and they have to be under 4ozs.  An MBR844 IMX weighs about 4.7ozs.  

I think your scales are broken. I'm no Kistler fan by any means, but I've held them and they have to be under 4ozs. An MBR844 IMX weighs about 4.7ozs.

Nope, analytical balance, was professionally calibrated about a week before I weighed both rods.

They feel lighter than they actually are, but how many of us have frame of reference for 3-5 oz.?

how many of us have frame of reference for 3-5 oz.?

All the swimbaiters...

I've got quite a few swimbaits in the 3-5 oz. range.  Those feel heavy, while a rod doesn't.

Burley, I thought I may have misunderstood you. I agree that balance and, to some extent, weight affects performance.  I still stand by my statement. An ounce or two difference between rods doesn't make a difference for me, at least regarding how tired I am by the end of the day.  I guess that would be a subject for another thread.

I've got quite a few swimbaits in the 3-5 oz. range. Those feel heavy, while a rod doesn't.

I was half kidding... but if you hold the rod vertical, the weight "feels" the same.