Sign in to follow this  
.ghoti.

St Croix 6'9" MLXF rod applications?

I just found one of these on the swap board, and mailed off a money order. It's last year's Legend Tournament series, the one with the full grip, not the split grip.

St Croix calls this their drop shot rod. I drop shot just about as often these days as I watch the grass grow. And enjoy both about the same. Nothing wrong with the drop shot, mind you. I've caught lots of 8's, 9's and 10's with it. That's 8", 9" and 10" fish. It's a dink magnet where I fish, so I've "dropped" it from my bag o' tricks.

Anybody have any experience with this rod? What do you use it for?

I'm thinking split shot rigs, jigworms, lightly weighted tubes, and maybe a backup small crankbait rod.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

GK

Trout, crappie and white bass.

I like throwing a Panther Martin (gold spinner,

black body with chartreuse spots) and Rapalas

(both Floating and Countdowns).

8-)

I've found that my drop shot rod (crucial 6'8 mxf) works really well for small crankbaits as well as floating rapalas.

Have you tried using bigger baits on the dropshot? I have never dropshotted but it seems that may help with the dink problem. I know lots of people use little 4" skinny baits but some use bigger soft plastic jerkbaits, too.

I personally would like an LTBS M XF more than my LTBS M F for my shaky heading. Something about a stiffer tip seems to help the bait crawl over structure and cover better, but that could just be a preference thing. That's what I would use it for

Yep...

Split shot rigs and 1/8 oz shakey heads are my preferred applications on my Tierra 2000/AS69MLXF combo.

Let me tell you what I had planned for that rod, well before I sold it to you lol. I used it to throw small cranks, finesse plastics, grubs, rattletraps, little spinnerbaits and shakyhead and jigworms. It excels at stuff like that, unfortunately, I dont do all that much of this stuff so, thats why it ended up for sale.

It was cool though throwing a 1/4 oz rattletrap so far! Could cover a LOT of water quickly and not get tired like one would doing the same thing with a spinning rod. Oh, it works well for those balsa minnow baits too, like Rapalas, shad raps and the like

I have the casting version of that rod and use it for shakeys, grubs, ice jigs, and small cranks.  My first trip out with it I caught a 10 lb blue cat on an ice jig.  Of course it excels as a DS rod.  IMHO the best one on the market.  You'll love it.  Soft tip but a ton of back bone for a ML rod.