Sign in to follow this  
Fin-S

Best mono to use on spinning rods?

I have been using trileneXL line on most of my spinning rods b/c of its low memory and found it does stay on the spool very well. Only problem I have with this line is breakage every now and again. Anyone else have issues with trileneXL? I thought the problem might have to do with the knots that I was tying so I recently switched from tying Improved clinch knots to now tying trilene knots and havnt had a break yet although its only been a few weeks. Anyway, I just don't trust this line anymore and am now looking to try another mono that has both low memory and most importantly good line strength. Anyone have any suggestions?        

Before I switched from Triline to P-Line, Trilene Sensation was AWESOME!!  8lb test never broke at all for me during my time w/ it.  And I was skipping senkos under trees, docks, and other heavy cover w/out a worry.  Now though I rely on P-Line CXX although I reccomend treating it w/ KVD Line and Lure Conditonor, although I do that to every line. :) ;D

ive always used trilene big game with improved clinch knots and have very few lines break. most of them were either from the line being old , or from me tying a knot in a rush and it pulling loose. since then , i make sure i tie them right. i also started tying trilene knots as well.

i also have trilene xl on my ultra light rig. i havnt taken it out yet , but i should sometime this week....

I switched from Trilene XL to Sufix Elite a while ago and have no plans of ever going back. It's smoother, more manageable, more consistant, and just as strong as XL if not stronger.

Nothing wrong with Trilene at all, it's a great line.

Where exactly are you breaking at ? At the knot? Up the line a few inches or feet ?

If your breaking at the knot, most likely it's the knot. It's important to wet the line before pulling the knot tight. If any thing doesn't look right with it, start over.

If your breaks are further up, you may have a nicked line guide. Run a q-tip through them, if any cotton fibers stick to the guide the guide will have to be replaced.

There is no "best " mono, you'll have to find what works best for you. Use the search function on the forum, you'll find a hundred different guys with a hundred opinions on fishing line.

Good luck with the UL rig, you will have a blast with it. If you're new to it read up all you can. I got into it heavy this year and did great. Only wish I had started sooner.

75% of the time it's the user...not the line.

Good luck with the UL rig, you will have a blast with it. If you're new to it read up all you can. I got into it heavy this year and did great. Only wish I had started sooner.

thanks. :)

im very new to it and have read up on it as much as i can. getting anxious to get out there.

ever since ive had a few breaks in the line due to the knots, i make sure its as perfect as can be. if its not , i re-do it. id rather make it as good as possible than loose a fish. whenever i go out next , it will be my first time using the trilene knot. it looks promising though.

Where exactly are you breaking at ? At the knot? Up the line a few inches or feet ?

If your breaking at the knot, most likely it's the knot. It's important to wet the line before pulling the knot tight. If any thing doesn't look right with it, start over.

If your breaks are further up, you may have a nicked line guide. Run a q-tip through them, if any cotton fibers stick to the guide the guide will have to be replaced.

Line is new pretty new, guides are in good condition and knots are clean and properly tied.   Heres my troubles. I have been doing a lot of wading when I fish lately at a local lake. Never have any problems reeling the fish in. Its when I get it close when I try to grip the fish. The fish will shake the lure and thats when I get the breakage by the knot. It only happens sometimes when its a larger fish. 8lb test.

Then it probably isn't the line.  It seems that perhaps a little more patience it needed to tire out the fish a bit more, especially if they still have fight in them.

I too am a user of Trilene XL in 6#. I have never lost a fish, but I have always made sure (and sometimes it's hard to stay patient) to wait until the time was right.

I like this line a lot.

You also mentioned that you wanted a line that didn't have too much memory. If that is the case, look no further than Sufix.  I have tried both Siege and Elite and prefer Siege for my cranks. Elite in a way is somewhat similar to trilene but I like Siege better.

Fin-S, may I suggest flourocarbon line for spinning baits?

Here are the line rules by Ike, just for food for thought:

Mono - Treble Hook Baits

Flourocarbon - All Other Baits

Braid and Super Lines - Deep cranking or in slop and heavy cover/structure

Just a suggestion to consider.  :)

Thanks guys for all the replies. I will continue to use trileneXL on a few of my rods now that I switched to using trilene knots with no issues yet. Im also going to try sufix elite out and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice   :)

I used Trilene XL on both spinning and casting gear for years, and its excellent line.  A couple of years ago, I switched to Suffix Elite, and I feel its just a little better.  For the past few months, I've been using 6# P-line CXX X-tra Tough on my M/ML spinning gear, and while not as supple as Trilene or Suffix, its wicked strong.  For knots, I use Palomar when convenient, and a Uni when tying bigger baits.

the mono i like, well there four actually.Gammakatsu G-power co-polymer,Tectan premium,Stren mirco-thin, and the line i am using now is Sunline Bass special 3, i have caught many,many big fish all of these lines and never had a problem with breakage,though i would not reccomend the Tectan for salt water unless you respool every week,other than that it is great line in fresh water.