Sign in to follow this  
Mike 12345

What gear ratio for a reel on your flipping/pitching rod?

Is a higher speed retrive beneficial for these types of presentations?

I know that a slower (like 5:1) ratio is often preferred for crankbaits, but is a faster retrive better for flipping/pitching presentations?  I'm imagining it would be, to help get the fish out of cover quickly-  Please let me know whether my reasoning is flawed.

Thanks

A lot of guys use high speed reels 6:1+ ratio for flipping/pitching.  When you do get bit it pulls the fish out of the cover faster and if you don't get bit you get the bait back faster for the next cast.

I use the rod to get the fish out of cover, not the reel.  However, I do like a high speed reel to get the bait back to the boat and ready to pitch again.

I use the rod to get the fish out of cover, not the reel. However, I do like a high speed reel to get the bait back to the boat and ready to pitch again.

+1,  The rods strength or action gets the fish out of cover.  I like 6.1:1 to take up any slack line on the hookset and to get bait back ASAP for the next pitch/flip.

I use a 7.1:1 reel. I watched a video by Denny Brauer on flipping a few years back and he said that the difference between a 7.0:1 reel and a 6.1.1 reel could mean someting like 25-30 extra pitches in a day. I like getting my jig back fast so I can pitch to the next target. More pitches = more fish over time.