Sign in to follow this  
Kevenater

help decide on a light spinning rod/reel combo for bream,small trout

I'm looking to buy me and my brother 2 ultralight spinning combos for Christmas while the online sales are going on. nothing fancy or expensive. I'm looking at 2 different combos. They will be used for bream/bluegill and eventually some small/medium rainbow trout in a local river(simpsey river) below the d**n of a large deep coldwater lake (smith lake) in north Alabama where they stock rainbows several times a year.

Bass Pro Shops has the  Bass Pro Shops TinyLite Spinning Rod and Reel Combo for 14.99, normal 19.99 it has excellent reviews. It's 5.4 oz and a 4'6" UL graphite rod with eva foam handle. 2 bearings. Overall rating 4.7 out of 5 with 12 reviews.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=91148&hvarTarget=search&hvarAID=&cmCat=10006590

The other is Cabela's Fish Eagle Classic Spinning Combo. it's 7.8 oz with 4 bearings, with a 5' im6 graphite and cork handle. it's 19.99 and normally 29.99. overall rating on the reel alone is 4.6 out of 5 with 26 reviews.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=holidaysale&id=0064799122572a&navCount=0&podId=0064799&parentId=cat604038&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=1AJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

The cabelas combo looks like a better deal to me. Although I'm not really sure if it would be considered an ultralite or not. Thanks for any help!!

Check these out. They're on sale quite often.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_74068_100002002_100000000_100002000_100-2-2

I have 2 of the 7'UL model. Got one for 30 bucks, and the second for 25. 2500 size Shimano Symetres on both. 2lb test on one, 4 on the other.

I would not recommend a short rod with a tiny reel. No casting distance compared to a 7' rod with a normal size reel. The tiny reels are also good for line problems. More twist, more memory, less distance and control, and poorer drags.

I know I'm talking about more cash than what you're looking at, but he's your brother, man. How many of them you got?

I already have a symetre 1500 i bought this past summer and my brother bought a pflueger president so we have good medium spinners covered, we want ultra lights now. keep opinions  coming.

i snagged my president 6725 off ebay for ~$40. maybe one of those bps micro lite rods and you'd have a nice ul rig?

Ghoti nailed it. Tough to beat that rod for the money.

I have the 6' ul along with a Pflueger Trion 4725gx, it's a killer rig.