Sign in to follow this  
TrippyJai

7:1 reel gear ratio

I'm looking at a Curado E7 for christmas. Can I use this gear ratio for everything except cranks?

I know it excels in flipping and pitching when you want to get the fish out of the cover as quick as possible, but how about using it for worms, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, etc. Is it too fast for worms? too fast in general?

Without sounding facetious, it all depends upon how fast you crank it.

If you cast shallow cranks to shoreline structure, a 7.X:1 reel would be a great option; they can get your fish outta trouble spots in a hurry.  Personally, any other crankin' presentation besides shallow divers, with a super high speed reel, and I end up over-winding my bait.

I guess with the right encouragement, anythings possible. :)  I haven't fished with any Shimanos, but by spring I want to have the E5.  I have been riding the fence on the curados for a couple of years and now with the new models, am ready to give em a whirl.  I'm an AbuGarcia guy, but from what I've wittnessed and read on the forums here, they sound like a solid deal.  

BTW, In your avatar you are either happy with the world or telling fish stories.  Which one? ;D ;D

It's a lot easier to slow down a fast reel than it is to speed up a slow one.

I guess with the right encouragement, anythings possible. :) I haven't fished with any Shimanos, but by spring I want to have the E5. I have been riding the fence on the curados for a couple of years and now with the new models, am ready to give em a whirl. I'm an AbuGarcia guy, but from what I've wittnessed and read on the forums here, they sound like a solid deal.

BTW, In your avatar you are either happy with the world or telling fish stories. Which one? ;D ;D

Happy with the world? No.

Being at a beautiful place? ... Indeedie!!! =)

Gone_Phishin

thanks for all the useful tips.

The only place I don't use 7:1 gear ratio is deep cranking and slop fishing. Deep cranking use a 5:1 so you don't wear yourself out, and a 5:1 for slop b/c its has more power to wrinch the fish out of the slop without the worry of breaking something.

I keep seeing the misconception that fast reels can move fish out of cover faster.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I also see a lot of folks saying a slow reel will winch them out... again, this is false. (no offense to the guys in this thread as it gets posted all the time.

Any fish (other than Burley sized fish  ;D) are moved out of cover with the rod, not reel.  Any reel, fast or slow is subject to the drag setting which 98% of the time is set to low to "winch" anything out, fast or slow.  

In bass fishing, the reel's gear ratio is for working baits and retrieving slack, not bringing in fish.

flechero, thanks for clearing that up.  After thinking about it, your right in that its the rod that gets em out of cover.  

Flechero made an excellent point in that you work the fish with the rod, more so than your reel.  I do prefer a burner, however, for toads in the slop cuz its easier to get them kickin' up on top with the 7.3:1, also makes buzzbaiting a lot easier too.  I also love it for fishing shallow cranks aggressively, crashing them into things at high speeds.  I have never owned a reel slower than 6.3:1 come to think of it, and never had any issues with anything, deep cranks included.  I don't claim to be a deep cranking aficionado but I have caught a good number of fish with deep cranks with 6.3:1 reels.  I guess that I too agree that it's easier to slow down a fast reel than it is to speed up a slow one.  Just my .02...Get yourself a burner and enjoy it!!!

The reason why I made this thread asking for opinion was because I am afraid that if I buy a 7:1 reel, I might work things too fast without knowing.

I just want to fish and not always having to worry if I am working a bit too fast. I know time will help me get used to it, but at the same time, I'm a leisure angler and want to make the best of my trips to the lake.

Overall, I don't see much of a problem with a burner so I will get one this christmas. Let's hope that I will enjoy using it.

I might work things too fast without knowing.

Don't worry, the actual difference is about 3"-5" per crank over "normal" speed reels.  Let the fish dictate speed...  if you are not getting bit, speed up or slow down.  The point is that you will always have to change speeds depending on the conditions so the reel shouldn't change your approach.