Sign in to follow this  
pabassin

Braid, Fluoro, & Mono Line Life expectancy

Does everyone re-spool all of there rods every year?  Out of Braid, Fluoro, & Mono, can any of them last on a reel for more than a year?

You need to check for nicks and frays, but fluorocarbon and braid will last indefinitely. Some copolymers have an indefinite shelf life, too. Mono, if properly stored (moderate temperatures and away from direct sunlight) can last for years, but I think should be changed occasionally, at least once a year.

8-)

The reason is with the cost every year to replace braided line on 4-5 rods, fluoro on 4 rods, it is an expensive thing to do. im not real concerned about mono, its pretty cheap. Power pro and a decent fluoro can add up each year.

I mainly use Braid with a flouro leader, I normally don't need to change braid out much because my fluoro leader takes most of the snipping from knots and such.

I do start to cut the first few yards of my braid if i see any fraying and will change out if I start getting low, I keep a healthy amount of mono back on to keep the cranking power of my BC's at max without wasting much braid.  With this method I've kept braid on some of my less used reels for more than 3 years.  I don't respool because I'm afraid of any line weakening, more due to snipping down the braid or cutting due to snags

I have reels spooled with mono that has been on for 3 years or more and the line is just fine. I just pulled some mono off of a reel that I have had since the 1940's and I am sure the line has been on the reel since the late 50's or early 60's. The line appeared to be about 12# and I could not break it. It did have some serious memory problems.

My tackle is always stored in the cellar so there is little temperature change and no sunlight. Like someone else said, I change when the line level on the spool gets to low. Also I don't fish T's so I am not concerned with $'s, points nor trophys. If I fished T's I'd change more often just because of the confidence factor.

I never change braid,I change mono every year and well as fluorocarbon line too.

Since i'm only the weekend angler from April to Nov. I tend to use the same line on my reels till the end of the season.Unless i backlash or have problems with the line and it's a "must" respool.

I think I am most concerned about the memory of the Fluoro line being on a reel over the winter (PA Weather - NO fishing for me for 3 months)

Braid lasts a long time!! Up to 3 years

mono I like to change every 6 to 8 months

Fluoro? Never had that on a pole, up I would imagine it would last longer than mono.