Sign in to follow this  
Btech

Rod And Reel

I just got for Christmas A new pole and rod was wondering if its the right one to upgrade to from a Wallmart special

REEL : Shamino Symetree FJ 2500

ROD: Bass Pro Shops IM6 MEDIUM 2 Piece 6.5? length (to fit in my truck)

Line: Berkley Treeline 10 lb and also 8 lb (Not spooled yet)

I do alot of softplastics and am starting to try some new thinks like spinnerbaits and would like to get into lures got a BBZ-1 Shad 4inch

Was wondering if this is a decent set for a beginner (Fish alot but never real serious, now im on the water alot (3X a week And All Weekend) Of shore until I can afford a small Tracker boat.

It might be too light a power for some cover, but will certainly serve you well.  I would suggest you use the second spool for braid, something like 30# Power Pro, to aid in fishing the heavily weeded areas near shore.  I'd also recommend a second casting rig, 6-7" MH/Fast for things like spinnerbaits, small swimbaits, jigs, and t-rig worms.  By using two rods from shore, you can employ a "follow up" strategy.  Fan cast a spinnerbait, and if you get bit or miss, use the second rod to throw something like an unweighted worm right back there, or to fish a spot slower to probe for more fish.

j francho, the symetre FJ doesn't come with a spare spool  :) but i do agree with using braid

btech, i'd be much more comfortable with a medium-heavy rod than a medium rod, particularly for fishing plastics if you texas-rig them. as for the BBZ-1 shad, there are much cheaper ways to start out that would be just as or more effective.

If at the moment you are looking for one set up to get you over for a while then let me put in another vote for a medium heavy rod.  However, as long as you fish smart and stay with the right line, you arent at any disadvantage whatsoever until you start to fish a little more seriously :)

You will be fine. I prefer Medium Power, it makes fishing more fun!

Casting is easier for most light and medium weight baits and lures.

The rod is powerful enough for all the bass you are likely to catch.

8-)