Sign in to follow this  
Kowen117

Sufix braid vs. power pro

Which is better i have been a strong beliver in power pro but lately the stuff i just bought been breakin on the hook set is sufix any better

I feel like suffix is a bit stiffer at first than powerpro, but after a trip they're all pretty limp.  Suffix, pp, BPS braid, and stren's super braid all feel the same to me once they're broken in.  

I really do like Suffix' neon orange line though!

I've used both, and I prefer Power Pro. It's limper and a little quieter. And usually a little cheaper.

Are you sure your knots aren't slipping? If they are actually breaking, just cut off a few feet of the line. All braided line frays a little bit with heavy use.

Which is better i have been a strong beliver in power pro but lately the stuff i just bought been breakin on the hook set is sufix any better

Are you fishing around rocks? And where did you buy it?

2. I would take either one.

I have been checking for frays but i do forget it just broke You could tell it just snapped in open water on about a 14 inch fish So that's why I was going to use sufix :-/

I have been checking for frays but i do forget it just broke You could tell it just snapped in open water on about a 14 inch fish So that's why I was going to use sufix :-/

Ok so are there rocks down there that you know about? Most of the time braid snaps on rocks you will feel the fish, go for the hookset, and come up empty handed with just slack line. It does not have to be frayed in order to snap on rocks, they just cut through braid like a razor.

Well I'm not sur but I know there is a lot of shells and clams on the bottom could that do it  :)

Well I'm not sur but I know there is a lot of shells and clams on the bottom could that do it :)

Don't know what they are doing there but if there is that is your issue. Not the line company.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;DCool but what your take on sufix I heard it is more durable

I have used both extensively along with some other brands. Fresh off the spool Sufix is hands down better. I feel that it casts nicer and stacks on the spool a little better. I use nothing lighter than 50# because I tend to break it.

Broken in Power Pro is good stuff for sure and I have never had any failures with it excluding line lighter than 50. I guess YMMV when it comes to line. Everyone will have an opinion as to what is the best. Either way they are both good quality lines.  

In my findings braided line will cut easier than mono around rocks. Its great for heavy vegetation and some timber for abrasion. I love the way it cuts kelp in the ocean too  :)

I use sufix in 10lb, 20lb, 50lb, and 65lb. Best braid I have ever used. I will never go back to PP.

Well I'm not sur but I know there is a lot of shells and clams on the bottom could that do it :)

If those last four words are supposed to be a separate sentance ended with a question mark then yes they could cut the line.  Power Pro and Suffix are not good to use around sharp rocks, shells, etc.  A change in brand will not help you.   You need to change types of line.

Or you could get the best of both worlds by using a flourocarbon leader when you're fishing around rocks and clams. Uni to uni is the knot I like most.

Theres 1 quality issue with all braids. When run the line threw your fingers and feel little hard spots, on close inspection you will see the stains fuzed together thats a quality issue.

Send back to the company with a nice letter and you might be surprised.

If this is not whats happening then you switching braids will cost you money.

My young buck nefew (15) believes you never need to retie braid young and dum.

You should make sure you didn't get the fake Prower Pro, check there website for info.

Garnet

I had always used suffix or spider wire with no problems but....... I recently bought some PP and IMHO it breaks off a lot. I posted a similar post a month or so ago and I felt like I was crazy because everyone loves the PP.

Thanks I have been trying to decide between the to but after this I'll probally go to sufix with a floro leader

I have been using  Power Pro for the past year and I have little breakage issues. The only time I broke it was when I was too lazy to put a leader on when fishing rocks. I am gonna try Sufix next. I am using 65lb btw.

I've used both and suffix does get the edge, but I'm perfectly content with PP. I retie at the start of every outing (fish 7 days a week) and I singe the tag line to prevent slipping. Every couple of months I take the line off the spool then respool using the clean unused end, getting twice the mileage and it's like putting brand new line on. I tape it using masking tape so no need for mono backing.

In defense of Power Pro (I've never used Sufix), I've used 15# for two years and never had one breakage and retie only seldomly, usually when the line gets tangled in the lure and cutting is the only way I can fix it.

I've used Spiderwire Stealth, PowerPro, and Sufix and Sufix is by far the better braided line to use. I've had PowerPro break on me before and my brother has lost a buzzbait because the line just snapped. Never had any problems at all with Sufix...the BEST braid IMHO.

I've used both braids in all different tests too.