Sign in to follow this  
hjerk24

Kistler Cranking Rod

I am looking at this exact same rod.  A good friend told me Gander Mountain sells this rod for $139.  My local Gander does not have one in stock, but the Gander in Syracuse does.  Going to stop in and check it out this Friday.  I wanted either the Avid or Legend 7' MM but can't find either for less then $170 and for a cranking rod feel that is a bit high.

I had that rod, a great stick for crankbaiting, I really liked the way the rod behaved when casting and retrieving a crank, how it handled the fight, if it weren 't for the s*y Batson reel seat  >;)  ( problem not found in the new ones ) and for a bulky handle I would have kept it.

Thanks.  With a birthday in February, I will keep looking and listening...hopefully I will have a nice cranking rod by the end of Feb.

Thanks for the replies.

There's a Gander Mountain in Harrisburg...may be they have it in there?

Thanks-

Jamie

I have this rod and it is the best cranking stick I have ever used. It loads up perfectly and can handle big fish with no problem. I caught a 30lb. salmon on the Columbia with a rattle trap while pre fishing for a tournament. It handled it just fine. Great rod and I highly recommend it. ;)

Checked this rod out at Gander Mountain yesterday and was not impressed.  It seemed like it was not very well made, the cork was pitted and full of holes and the over look and feel did not impress me a bit.

I had the chance to compare it to and St. Croix's Avid MHM and Legend MHM, and also a Kistler Magnesium that listed for $179.  These three 7' rods all had quality workmanship, good guides and reel seats.  The Avid and Legend felt identical, great looking and feeling rods rated for 3/8 to 5/8 oz. lures.  The Kistler Mag claims to handle from 1/8 to 1 oz lures.  It has a softer tip then the St. Croixs and being a fiberglass composite has a good butt section.

Making a decision on which of these rods to pick is not going to be easy.  I use mainly St. Croix rods and am leaning toward the Legend, but the Kistler Mag was very impressive and if it actually can handle that wide a range of baits then one rod would do what I use two for now.