Sign in to follow this  
BassinSoldier

Help picking new rod/reel for daughter

I have a 6yr old daughter who I want to introduce to regular spinning tackle.  I feel as though she is ready to get away from her lil disney princess combo and try something new when I get home.  I was wondering if any of you guys have kids around this age, and if so what has worked well for them.  She likes to fish for any kind of panfish and she likes to throw lures for bass like I do cuz she sees me doing it.  She has her own lil tacklebox with hooks, floats, and some small rapala floating minnows.  I want to get her something that works well but isn't too expensive, seeing as she is 6 and can be kinda rough on her gear.  Thanks in advance for your input!

Well, first let me say she could probably handle a baitcaster. :) Seriously.

My daughter used her Barbie pole at 4, a spinning reel at 5 and baitcaster at 6.

Fortunately, they don't need anything expensive. If you have Sportsman's warehoues or similar store, look for the Daiwa Strike Force rods. The should have a 6' rod (spinning and casting models) for about $12.00 which is what I got for my daughter.

The spinning can be the 1500 or 2000 sized reel of your choice. I got my daughter a 1500 Daiwa spinning reel that had a price tag of about $11.00. Granted, it is not a Symetre or Tierra, but at their age it is functional.

The beauty and simplicity about this setup is that it can be used for trout and panfish, but it is still bass worthy and it won't set you back much at all.

Now for the casting set up, she likes to use my Curado BSF or 101D.

The only downside if it could be called one is that spinning reel are inherently heavy for kids this age and given the added length of a 5'6"-6' rod, they potential to get tired more quickly increases. Other than that, let her do the fishing while you watch, guide, and undo tangles. ;D Give her 100% of your attention and she'll fish a lot longer.

0431637-R1-036-16A.jpg

At about 5, wielding a 6'6" Spinning Rod and Size 20 reel, trying to catch her first salmon.

At 6, practicing for the first time with a casting reel. It was the day she claimed my greenie reel as hers. The first thing she said after her first cast was "Papi, this is so much easier to use than the other (spinning) reel." Now that's my little girl! 8-)

STA70153Small.jpg

Daiwa Spinning Rod: $12.00

Daiwa Spinning Reel: $11.00

The smile on your daughter's face when you give this to her as a Christmas present and how she will outfish you until she discovers boys: Pricelsss.

This must definitely be a proud time for you.  :)

Thanks for that Islandbass! Very informative. I may let her try a couple of my casting reels with the brakes turned up good and high to see how she likes them. I'll be lookin the spinning gear up. Thanks again!  You've got a cute kid too man, those pics are great. I can tell you're proud as well by reading your post.  I sure can't wait to get home!  

Thanks for that Islandbass! Very informative. I may let her try a couple of my casting reels with the brakes turned up good and high to see how she likes them. I'll be lookin the spinning gear up. Thanks again! You've got a cute kid too man, those pics are great. I can tell you're proud as well by reading your post. I sure can't wait to get home!

No problem. I must warn you... Your daughter might claim one of your better reels and maybe your zillion rod as hers.  ;D I'd place a bet that she has you wrapped around her pinky. 8-)

I posted something similar a few weeks back, I was looking into the Fisher Girl set-ups but ended up with the Shakespeare Ladyfish Deluxe Spincasting Combo, it was about $20 bux at my local Wally World, she's been using my gear all year but decided to ask Santa for her own. I think this will work just fine, heres a link.

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/index_uglylady.html

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

and maybe your zillion rod as hers.

Wrapped around her pinky maybe, but lets not get carried away now! ;D

(I do always seem to somehow end up with a pack of bubble gum colored zoom trick worms every time I leave wally world with her though, crazy part is they work!)

Thanks for your guys' input!  I think I'll do that..get her a cheap(ish) combo and see if she's still enthusiastic all summer.  If so she'll get to step up again.

and maybe your zillion rod as hers.

Wrapped around her pinky maybe, but lets not get carried away now! ;D

(I do always seem to somehow end up with a pack of bubble gum colored zoom trick worms every time I leave wally world with her though, crazy part is they work!)

Thanks for your guys' input! I think I'll do that..get her a cheap(ish) combo and see if she's still enthusiastic all summer. If so she'll get to step up again.

Holy smokes! My daughter picks the bubble gum pink senkos and they work for sure! ;D

Arctic, those are some nice pics.

My 10yo daughter comes with me all summer and will stay all day and into the night. So for christmas I got her a st croix triumph and a daiwa capricorn spinning combo.

I think I am gonna go with the ladies' 33 combo.  I learned most of my techniques as a kid with my 33 until I started using casting gear at about 11.  My projects for this coming year are to 1) 1st and foremost see if I can teach my lil' girl how to use soft plastics, and a couple other lures, and why to use them at certain times.  If she gets bored I'll always have a can o' crawlers and some floats with my UL combo she can use to bust on some panfish.  2) better my jig skills  

I think I am gonna go with the ladies' 33 combo. I learned most of my techniques as a kid with my 33 until I started using casting gear at about 11. My projects for this coming year are to 1) 1st and foremost see if I can teach my lil' girl how to use soft plastics, and a couple other lures, and why to use them at certain times. If she gets bored I'll always have a can o' crawlers and some floats with my UL combo she can use to bust on some panfish. 2) better my jig skills

Teaching her to use soft plastics she will have alot of fun. My daughter loves to fish weightless texas rigged senkos. It's hard for me to get her to fish anything else. This year I am gonna try and get her to fish with some swim baits, I got her a sebile magic swimmer for x-mas.

Just be careful, since I taught my daughter to fish the senko she out-fishes me on occasion.

There was a pink spinning combo posted on here awhile back...pink rod split grip..It looked awesome... :-[

This thread is piceless all by itself!

Bsassinsolldier be careful on what you buy or you will defeat your purpose. I have 2 now 9yr old daughters. I bought them ea small Shakesphere closed face nderspin combos and felt I had checked thm over as best as I could for quality. One of them worked for maybe a month then bit the dust. One never worked wll at all and scratched the line something fierce early on. I ended up returning them. The girls were around 5 or 6 then and the frustration had a large hand in their getting burned out.

I went ahead and let them use a decent spinnig reel or 2 of mine and they did fairly well. Tangles are inevitable and they don't like to ask for help so you have to keep a close eye on them. I learned after the fact ( and too late) that braid would probably have made this to be a non issue.

You are probably safe on the Zebco 33

In case she wants to try something tht is a little closer to the real thing Here is something I always thought about trying

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58698____SearchResults

Keep in mind this could be junk I have no idea I've seen junk reels by a bunch of manufacturers including ABU, Shakesphere, Quantum

I've never seen a junk Pflueger or Shimano but mine is not exactly a scientific survey.

If I were you I'd buy her a New or Newish Pflueger President for around $35. I'd only do it if you think she could handle a spinning reel. I would also spool it with braid as it would virtualy eliminate line twist. It won't break the bank and if she doesn't like it you end up with a very usable reel. I think the thing will take a ton of abuse.