Sign in to follow this  
joshuaryan

Color Braided Line w/ Black Marker

Do you guys color your braided line w/ a black marker? I know a lot of guys do this, but do you think it help you catch more fish?

I wonder why they don't just color Power Pro lines black instead of moss green, red, yellow or white.

a lot of guys use black because we can't find the original matching powerpro green in a permanent marker.the black makes the line less visible than the whitish pale green it turns as the color wears off.does it help catch more fish?who knows?

i do it, im not sure it makes a difference.

I use a dark green Sharpie to color the moss gree braid when it starts to fade.  I make a slit cut down the middle of the Sharpie, wish I could find a wide tip Sharpie in green.

I've marked line, but don't know why.  Makes it look better on the spool or something, i don't think the fish care.

Funny you mention this.  I don't use braid but my buddy does and he uses a black marker.  I read where Doug Hannon said if you you want to camo your line to use purple. Or was it blue?  I think it was purple.  He was referring to mono but it would also apply to braid.

Power Pro can't color their lines permanently as the main ingredient of the line is Spectra and it does not hold any color.  Best they can do is color coat it.

Using a permanent magic maker does the same thing.  Just coats the line, as Spectra does not absorb the color or liquids.

I use marker on 1/2 the spool to give it a breakup, alternating pattern, in addition to marking the last 18" or so.

I use marker on 1/2 the spool to give it a breakup, alternating pattern, in addition to marking the last 18" or so.

When I mark the line, I do the same thing.  If the fish can see the line at all, breaking the continuous image (line) up with alternating "dash marks" may obscure the image a little. (Or it may just be overkill.  Who knows?)