Sign in to follow this  
PlasticMan135

Flipping Switch Question

Has the flipping switch on the Accurist PT changed? I purchased my second Accurist and noticed a problem with the switch. I am supposed to be able to lift my thumb off the thumb bar and the spool stops, while in flipping mode. However no matter what position I have the flipping switch in, I have to crank the handle to stop the spool. Am I missing something, or is this a flaw?

I'm not familiar with the newer Accurists (I onlt have the older models) but to me, it sounds like the spring on the flippin switch may have come off.

Hopefully, Reel Mech will see this and chime in with the same or other options on what might be wrong.

No.  Do not think you are missing anything here as something sounds amiss.  If you have to turn the handle, defeats the purpose of the switch.  Thumb comes off the release bar the spool should lock.  Can you take it back?

Its defective.  

People, how can you spend your hard earned $$$ on a reel that you didn't verify was working properly in the store?

This reel was purchased online with a host of other things, so I was unable to verify that it works properly. However I will not be making online orders from now on. I will just take the hour or so drive to Cabelas. So much for saving time and gas money.

Thanks for your help all.

Like basser89 said it could be the spring or other part that came loose in there. If you are comfortable taking it apart and inspect what the problem is. Open the side plate gentle to see what pops out or hanging loose then place it back in. Should be easy fix.

If you have the switch set on flipping and press the thumbar and it returns immediately then the reel is working properly. If you set the flipping switch on and press the thumbar and you have to crank the handle then the switch has lost a spring that attaches it to the release plate inside the reel. Do not attempt to repair this yourself if you have never done so.

There is nothing EASY about the insides of a Quantum reel!

Take/Send the reel back to where ever you got it from for a refund, or, send it to Quantum under warranty.

Just my .02¢

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!