Sign in to follow this  
Certified Public Angler

Just got my first high end Rod!

It came in the mail yesterday.  A St. Croix Legend Elite casting 6'8 MXF.  I walked down to the lake yesterday afternoon and threw a senko for a little while.  I caught 4 bass...but one was clearly bc of the incredible sensitivity in this rod.  Casted the bait out and was putting my pliers in my back pocket when I felt a tick on the completely slack line.  Put the tip down, reeled in the slack, and BAM, fish on.  I was impressed after that.   :)

Well I have this rod paired with the Curado E7 I got for christmas.  It looks sexy!  I will probably be using it for some plastics and some topwater.  

Well the rod I guess is last years model, its MSRP is $330 and I paid $192 shipped.  A nice deal from Reeds...they are also having 20% off on all their rods right now.  I guess when the lake freezes over FL ppl can get a steal!

Excellent!

You made a great puchase, congratulations!

8-)

My guess is that this will not be your last high end setup. It is all down hill from here :)

Congrats on your purchase I am sure you will be happy with it.

thanks for the info I just checked out their site and they have all their rods 20% off except for loomis (10%)  if anybody needs some new stix check it out     www.reedssports.com :)

What? I got 2 Loomis 20% off last week. I am waiting for them to arrive. I am not sure they ordered me the right ones though after looking at my bank statement. :'(

what do you think should I go with I am going to get a jigging rod 1 of the following rods

Legend Elite:  es60mlf

es66mf

Tournament Elite:  tws63mxf

tws66mlf

tws60lf

I will use it primarily for walleye and smalley jigging with grubs, minnows and small plastics

ES68MXF

8-)

That was my thought but they are out of stock. Also all the legend elite rods are $120 off. Is st. croix changing something with these that they would sell them so cheap.

Are the legend elite rods that much better than the tournament elite rods?

I'm sorry you missed it, but I posted this several times over the last couple of months. Last year the Legend Elite were not suppose to be on sale, but they posted in error. I bought an EC70MHF and they honored the sale but withdrew the offerings.

8-)

thanks RW I  :Dwas planning on buying a jig rod but am seriously considering gettting 2 legend elites, at that price they are kinda hard to pass up.   EC66mf or EC68mxf and

ES66mf

This is such a hard descision

I already have a AC66mf and MB783 for baitcasters

and a crucial 66mlf for a jig rod, so I want to make sure to get something that compliments what I have not competes with them.  When jigging for walleye i use 2 rods a lot so I would like to get something similar to the crucial.  My thought is that I could make the Avid my cranking rod, I know some guys on this forum have said it works good for that application.

My AC66MF is my "all around" treble hook rod, but I also use it

for buzzbaits and spinnerbaits. I usually pre rig with a jerkbait

or topwater lure which are ideal techniques for that rod length.

The soft tip is key: stiff enough to maneuver a lure, but soft enough

to cushion the blow!

That was a great choice in rod selection and company.  I love all my St Croix rods.  Now all you will want is high end rods. ;D

RW the ES68MXF is my favorite rod I own.  

OK I am already to place my order

es66mf and ec66mf or ec68mxf  which casting rod should I go with.  Is there that much of a difference in the 2 inches and the fast vs. Xfast

Hooked!

Now that you have one of these baby...it's going to be really hard to go down to something cheaper. ;D

OK I am already to place my order

es66mf and ec66mf or ec68mxf which casting rod should I go with. Is there that much of a difference in the 2 inches and the fast vs. Xfast

Well, the ES66MF and EC66MF are going to perform much

like the AC66MF I have already described. The EC68MXF

is a different animal which you will use primarily for soft

plastics and light to medium weight jigs.

8-)

thanks RW I think I will go with the ec68mxf, and keep my ac66mf for trebels and topwater, that will give me a pretty complete arsenal, except for a swimbait rod, which in Mich we don't use a lot, and a dedicated crankin stick

my lineup would look like this

AC66mf- trbels and and spinnierbaits

EC68MXF- plastics

MBR783- jigs, heavier plastics,

66mlf crucial- small jigs, weightless stuff, dropshot, I will probably use this for guests and walleye jiggin

ES66mf-pretty much anyhting-I have a hunch this will become my money rod along with the EC68mxf

Sweet!

;D ;D ;D

thanks RoseAngler i was going to get an avid but instead got a legend elite, actually I got 2 for the price that 1 would nomally cost ($370), now all I need is a cranking rod, but my AC66mf I think will do the trick for this year I just blew my whole rod/reel/goodies budget in one swoop, but I never imagined owning such a great rod.

This is exactly why I come on this forum you guys all rock!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

thanks RoseAngler i was going to get an avid but instead got a legend elite, actually I got 2 for the price that 1 would nomally cost ($370), now all I need is a cranking rod, but my AC66mf I think will do the trick for this year I just blew my whole rod/reel/goodies budget in one swoop, but I never imagined owning such a great rod.

This is exactly why I come on this forum you guys all rock!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey thank RW, he pointed me in the direction of Reeds and I'll definitely be using them again. I think he must be on the payroll, if not he should be. ;D