Sign in to follow this  
Jim Grouch

Looking for a rod travel case

I was wondering if any of you had any info on hard cases. I plan on traveling quite a bit this year and am looking to purchase one. We all know how well all of the baggage handlers are and how they take careful consideration into all of our luggage  :). Please let me know the good, the, bad, and the ugly on these. Thanks!

I actually made my own out of 3 inch pvc pipes. Worked great. I also purchased some fly rod cases also to travel with. But the PVC pipe seems more sturdy. Ohh also, all my rods were 2 pieces if that matters.

I also made mine out of PVC for about 10 bucks. It worked well for me, I put 5 rods in it for a fly in trip to Canada, carried the reels in a backpack.Nothing was damaged and they were very rough!!

If you want purchase one, the Bazooka tube is a good choice from BPS. Many of my friends have these and love them....I'm cheap!

They make 2,the pro holds 9 or more and the original one holds 6 or more

-John

post-17012-130162925861_thumb.jpg

If you are handy, or your local hardware store will glue the fittings for you PVC is the way to go

Otherwise both Plano and Bazooka make great cases

I use the original Bazooka.  As advertised it will hold 6 rods 7'6" or smaller.

Got it because I have a really small car and needed to transport my rods on the roof.  Never had a problem.  It's tough, light.  Only think is I find it easier to load backwards, butts in, tips near the door.

Haven't used it yet for flying.

I use the original Bazooka. As advertised it will hold 6 rods 7'6" or smaller.

Got it because I have a really small car and needed to transport my rods on the roof. Never had a problem. It's tough, light. Only think is I find it easier to load backwards, butts in, tips near the door.

Haven't used it yet for flying.

Perfect in every way.

8-)

Used to work at UPS and I know what they are like in the warehouse, tossing package around not handled with care even the package labeled fragile. Like others, I use 5" PVC with 6 rods inserted nicely. Lot of scratches on my PVC.