Sign in to follow this  
xxmurrxx

Shimano Core

Is this reel the bees knees or what?

Looks pretty good, Thinking about one now instead of a zillion.

Anyone care to comment on the core?

Thanks.

It's awesome you won't regret it.

It's nice, for sure.  My one and only complaint is line capacity.  If you use mono, you are very restricted.

It's nice, for sure. My one and only complaint is line capacity. If you use mono, you are very restricted.

See that's what I love about it!  Perfect capacity IMHO.  I like fresh line, and change it frequently.  That's my gripe with the Zillion....too much line capacity for a jig and worm reel.  That is what the Core is designed to be, and more line will directly affect the reels ability to cast lightweight baits.  

10/10

By far my favorite reel. I have played with it on a number of rods

and used it for every technique. In the end, I decided to keep the

Core on my AVC66MF which I use an "all around" treble hook rod,

for buzzbaits and spinnerbaits. Most of the time, it's my dedicated

jerkbait rig.

At any rate, I love me some Core!

;D ;D

See that's what I love about it! Perfect capacity IMHO. I like fresh line, and change it frequently. That's my gripe with the Zillion....too much line capacity for a jig and worm reel. That is what the Core is designed to be, and more line will directly affect the reels ability to cast lightweight baits.

The 50 MG's hold more line than the Core and they cast light weights all day with no trouble.

I also like fresh line and change it daily in many circumstances but with #14XT you can cast it all out. And since I used it as my t-rig reel I had to retie fairly often, fishing timber and brush so sometimes I was forced to respool at lunch time. Plus when I fish a couple lakes in particular, I like #17 line for t-rigs... not an option with that reel.

Like I said it's a great reel but I guess I should amend my other statement to say for some mono users, it's line capacity limits you.

My core is also my worm/jig combo, I use braid as my main line.  I put a little bit of 8lb hybrid (maybe 10yds) on first then join it to the braid (30#).  The small diameter braid really fills the spills up and I have never spooled it on a cast.  

See that's what I love about it! Perfect capacity IMHO. I like fresh line, and change it frequently. That's my gripe with the Zillion....too much line capacity for a jig and worm reel. That is what the Core is designed to be, and more line will directly affect the reels ability to cast lightweight baits.

The 50 MG's hold more line than the Core and they cast light weights all day with no trouble.

I also like fresh line and change it daily in many circumstances but with #14XT you can cast it all out. And since I used it as my t-rig reel I had to retie fairly often, fishing timber and brush so sometimes I was forced to respool at lunch time. Plus when I fish a couple lakes in particular, I like #17 line for t-rigs... not an option with that reel.

Like I said it's a great reel but I guess I should amend my other statement to say for some mono users, it's line capacity limits you.

The 50mg holds the right amount of line as well.  I just don't like spools that hold 150yds of 12lb line.  100-120yds of 12lb is what I prefer.  With accessories widely available for all kinds of products....why can't they make a shallow or deep spool available as an accessory?  I'm contemplating ordering some TD-Z spools for my anniversary zillions, but Daiwa wants $80 a piece for them  :-X

With accessories widely available for all kinds of products....why can't they make a shallow or deep spool available as an accessory?

That would be great.  I think you and I are exceptions to the rule and the market for different spools is probably very small.  There are spools available for the core... through Japan Tackle.  $$