Sign in to follow this  
sharkman

Dobyn rods vs daiwa?

ok i think i am down to these two rods. either the daiwa light an tough froggin rod or the dobyns champion 7' 3 heavy fast rods. i dont know much about the dobyns so i am looking for peoples input. this rod i will be  throwing toads and frogs with. so does the dobyns lighter 10-20 lb. line rating make it less qualified for this heavy cover fishing?

Most of us don't know anything about the new Dobyns rods. They haven't been distributed yet. Give it a few weeks and you'll have some opinions coming. Some people are compairing them to the Steez and the GLoomis GLX, but I ain't saying anything till I have fished one.

They're already out over here. I've played with them for two weeks earlier this month, but won't have mine until Monday. I have 8 and will continue to get more this year.

There is absolutely no competition between a Daiwa Light and Tough rod vs. a Dobyns rod, but the Dobyns rods are also more expensive.

Not sure which Dobyns 7'3 rod you're speaking of, there's several, 733, 734, 735, 736. The 736 is what I would personally use for frogging, although I like 7'6 for frogging.

I have personally owned and sold the Daiwa LT Frog Rod, I didn't like it.

Yeah...I just realized there is quite a difference in price between the rods you are comparing.   I would expect the Dobyns to be better overall, but only time will tell.  

Some people are compairing them to the Steez and the GLoomis GLX, but I ain't saying anything till I have fished one.

Yup... cork grip, graphite blank, metal guide frames and they wrapped it with thread- just like a GLX. ;D ;D ;D ;D

The rumor is always that someone is or has compared it to Loomis... nevermind who says it, the context or if it's really even been said. ::)

The dobyns rods might be the best thing out there... but given the trouble last time, I would wait until they hit the mainstream market before pronouncing them absolute greatness... a few people did that last time as well.

well i found the dobyns on fishermanswarehouse for $140 it is the 734c.

so what didnt you like about the daiwa brokeju?

what was the problem with the dobyns before? is this deal on fishermans warehouse too good to not take?

Speaking of the Light and Tough, can anyone give any opinions on the regular L&T rods (not the frog rod)?

well i found the dobyns on fishermanswarehouse for $140 it is the 734c.

so what didnt you like about the daiwa brokeju?

what was the problem with the dobyns before? is this deal on fishermans warehouse too good to not take?

Those are the OLD Dobyns rods, the new ones just released.

The 734 is not a frog rod by any means, it has a TON of good uses, but not a frog rod. I have a 734 and love it, Spinnerbaits, T-Rig plastics, Brushhogs, Rat L Traps, Senkos, Jigs, etc.. But not frogs.

The Daiwa rod felt a bit limp for my liking, I didn't feel as though I was getting good hook sets on bites from a long ways out.. Some guys like the less stiff rod, but I don't.

The previous model of Dobyns rods had some manufacturing issues, not ALL of them were bad, but some batches that were shipped to the USA did have issues. For $140 the 734 is an awesome all around rod, but as I said before, I wouldn't use it for frogs.

Some people are compairing them to the Steez and the GLoomis GLX, but I ain't saying anything till I have fished one.

Yup... cork grip, graphite blank, metal guide frames and they wrapped it with thread- just like a GLX. ;D ;D ;D ;D

The rumor is always that someone is or has compared it to Loomis... nevermind who says it, the context or if it's really even been said. ::)

The dobyns rods might be the best thing out there... but given the trouble last time, I would wait until they hit the mainstream market before pronouncing them absolute greatness... a few people did that last time as well.

I couldn't agree with you more. That's why I'm taking that with a grain of salt. I'll get some soon and I'll fish hard with them before I give my opinion on them. You have my promise that it will be an honest opinion. I don't compromise my integrity for anyone.

so  how does the daiwas stiffness compare to the st croix premier 7' heavy. i am thinking the mojo

i fish alot of this lake near me in Massachusetts called lake rohunta.its a weed choked lake with thick grass in the middle along a channel and lily pads on the edges. its a long narrow lake with little boat traffic. i love it!

i just dont want to make a bad decision on this frog /heavy cover rod. i threw alot of horny toads last year and was fishing them on a all star  6'6 med rod and missed alot of fish.i am using suffix 30lb braid on a cheaper pflueger reel. so i went out and bought a new summit reel 7:1:1 reel and want to paired it up with a good stiff frog rod.

i am between the mojo frog and slop, a falcon low rider lfc-6-17  7" h fast , and the daiwa frog rod.

i love my other low rider 6"6 med/heavy but it just seems that the lcf-6-17 is just a little too light in comparison to the other "frog" rods?

i am willing to spend up to$150 but just cant decide!

If you're between those 3, I would definitely go with the Daiwa LT Frog rod, simply due to the extra 4 inches in length. Longer rod has definitely helped my frog fishing.