Sign in to follow this  
bubbler

Berkley® Lightning Rod® Shock

ok guys im looking to buy the  Berkley® Lightning Rod® Shock series rod in ML 7 foot model. i heard that the tipwas realy sensative and the rod light.....do any of u think tht the rod would be good for shaky heads and other fines soft plastics...thanks yall

ive never seen one, but when you get yours id like to know what you think. for the price if nothing else it would be an ok bank rod.

My wife has a Lightning rod for her spinning rig. It is a 6ft medium power model. It casts well and has handled channel cats, and large and smallmouth without a hitch. It is also very light and easy to use even when she floats all day.

I bought a Lightning Rod (not Shock series) for spinning. It's a MH 6' model. It was on close-out for $20. It's been a good rod (sensitive and decent backbone). Great rod for that price ::D! IMHO I don't think a ML would do for soft plastics...

skillet

I don't think you can beat a Lightning Rod for the price.  The new ones look great.

I saw them at Bass Pro Shops when I was there last time, almost bought one.  Held off cuz I'm getting a Kistler Magnesium 6'10 MH spinning rod instead.

The tips are soft, so as it's claimed made for braided line.  I guess you can use it w/ mono, but w/ the soft tip & no stretch braid; it won't pull the hook out of the fish's mouth.

I am thinking I may go back & get the 7'6" ML spinning rod.  The b/c rod that I was going to get, I held off cuz of the trigger on the reel seat.  It curves in a weird way, that it feels different from a Fuji trigger on the reel seat.  You'll have to handle one to know what I'm talking about.

does it have enough backbone to be able to fish soft plastics? thanks for the help

Too soft , you need a quicker tip. JMHO

A friend of mine has used lightin rods all his life. He bought a new shock rod and in his experienced opinion, you can cast a little further with it due to the slicker rod eyes.

Just looked at the 6'6" ML at a fishing show over the weekend and seems to be a pretty good rod. I'll be getting the rod to match with a BPS Viper reel that has Berkley Fireline Crystal Braid.