Sign in to follow this  
SuthernHaze

place of manufacture

where can u find out where the different abu garcia reels are manufactured.  I would like to know which ones are made in sweden due to better quality

Guest beowulfx71

I think you will have to look for 2006 and earlier models to get the made in Sweden ones. Ebay is your best bet, though I did see a few left at a Bass Pro a year ago.

The place of manufacture is not relevant, it 's the manufacturer that sets the quality standards for the product, Made in Sweden, Made  In America, Made in China, Made in Thailand, Made In Korea only tells you where it was made and it 's not synonimous of quality or the lack of it.

where can u find out where the different abu garcia reels are manufactured.

This might help but, sorry, no Sweden

Barcodes starting with:

00 ~ 13 USA & Canada

30 ~ 37 France

40 ~ 44 Germany

49 ~ Japan

50 ~ UK

57 ~ Denmark

64 ~ Finland

76 ~ Switzerland and Liechtenstein

628 ~ Saudi-Arabia

629 ~ United Arab Emirates

471 ~ Taiwan

480 ~ Philippines

690 ~ 695 China

740 ~ 745 Central America

Guest beowulfx71

Place of origin does matter, its called quality control. Why do you think bad pet food, melamine in milk, lead paint on kids toys, etc. all came from China-there are no environmental/labor standards there.

Or if your just talking bass fishing I was a teen in the late 80s I bought all Daiwa rods/reels, was made in Japan or here by Daiwa USA and Ive never had 1 problem with them to this day; no broken tips or guides or anything else on the rods, no noise or broken parts on the old Millionaire reels. A couple years I got into bass tournament fishing again and bought all new Daiwa stuff as supposedly new tech had passed my old gear by-but the newer gear was made in China and it was all crap from day1, couldnt even last 1 season. Learned my lesson the hard way. Anyway enough ranting if you want Abus reels either buy old stock from Sweden or new buy their made in South Korea which is a democracy and has some labor standards.

Unfortunately, high quality goods with strict quality control are the exception when manufactured in countries such as China, and the rule when manufactured in countries like Japan.  

I haven't had any problems with what little gear I have made in China, but I agree with Natural on this. Now, regarding hand tools, they still have lots of manufacturing issues. Every chinese tool I've seen wasn't worth the time it takes to toss it in the garbage.