Sign in to follow this  
OIFBasser

A rock and a hard place.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I'm looking to buy two new rods, 1 spinning and one baitcasting, both 7' long with a fast/moderate tip. I might go a little longer with the spinning rod, I'm in the $150-160 range. Here are the rods I like alot.

Kistler magnesium

Shimano Crucial

Shimano Compre - An IM8 rod for $100 bucks

St. Croix Avid - Already have a few and like them

Carrot Stix - not sure about having an orange rod

As for what I'm throwing on the rods

Revo SX

Shimano Symetre 2500

What do you guys think?

Avid rods: AVS70MF spinning

AVC66MF for an "all around" baitcaster

AVC70MHF for soft plastics and jigs

AVC70MM for light and medium weight treble hook lures

Symetre 2500FJ spinning reel

Citica E baitcaster

8-)

Is the Citica that much better than the Revos. I have a few Revos and like them alot, but for $30 less and even better than them I may have to pick one up.

I agree with the Avids I have a couple of them and like them alot, I was just thinking of trying another brand out there. Thanks

The Citica is a Shimano, the Revo is not... :(

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I'm looking to buy two new rods, 1 spinning and one baitcasting, both 7' long with a fast/moderate tip. I might go a little longer with the spinning rod, I'm in the $150-160 range. Here are the rods I like alot.

Kistler magnesium

Shimano Crucial

Shimano Compre - An IM8 rod for $100 bucks

St. Croix Avid - Already have a few and like them

Carrot Stix - not sure about having an orange rod

As for what I'm throwing on the rods

Revo SX

Shimano Symetre 2500

What do you guys think?

I've got a 6'6" M/F Crucial spinning rod that's very nice, light and sensitive as you'd expect. They're great rods for the price, but the narrow lure weight range on mine limits its usefulness.

The Compre, IMHO, feels like a broomstick. I've handled them on numerous occasions, and have even convinced myself to buy one a couple different times, but once I get them in my hand I lose all desire to own one. I know there are many satisfied Compre users out there, but it just doesn't scream "buy me".

Picked up a 7' med/mod-fast Kistler Magnesium TS crankbait rod a little while ago, and have been pleased so far. It's light, sensitive, and flexible without being too "whippy". I've yet to actually catch anything on it, so I can't tell you how well it handles with a fish on, but I have no problem yanking 1/2 oz. lipless cranks thru the weeds.

I've never owned a Carrot Stix rod, nor have I used one, but I have handled them in the store and put them right back on the rack where I found them. They're cute, but the guides are a real deal-breaker for me. They look like the ones on a $20 Berkley Cherrywood. IMHO, for the money they ought to come with Fuji Alconites.

Kistler Magnesium and a Shimano reel is hard to beat! You might also want to look at a Shimano Curado E! I know where to get them for $155.99 shipped. Citca's are sale there too for $105.99 shipped. Check it out www.basstackleoutlet.com/  :(

The Citica is a Shimano, the Revo is not... :(

Yes but the Revo is an Abu Garcia, which makes it better than Shemano!   ;D

I love my Abus and my SheManos... Any you guys don't like yours PM me for a shipping address...

No doubt,

seriously you won't go wrong with either the Shimano or the Garcia.

I like both the Citica E and the Revo S but I dont see why neither company can offer them and a range of gear ratios. Now I have to use the old citica D for crankin, and the curado for burning traps...I will say that with 65lb braid on my revo s and a flippin' stick I can uproot a goodsize boatlift and usually land it with no problem :(

I like both the Citica E and the Revo S but I dont see why neither company can offer them and a range of gear ratios. Now I have to use the old citica D for crankin, and the curado for burning traps...I will say that with 65lb braid on my revo s and a flippin' stick I can uproot a goodsize boatlift and usually land it with no problem :(

Yeah, right...What gauge steel is your rod?

I don't have a rig set with 5 lbs drag. Maximum drag is meaningless.

8-)