Sign in to follow this  
bronzewb22

How long should my flourocarbon leader be?

If i'm gonna be dropshotting and in general finessing deep clear water for smallies but still wann use braid as a main line, how long should my flouro leader be? Also whats the best line for medium sized cranks, lipless cranks, and jerkbaits?

Here is an article on Gary yamamoto using long leaders on braid: insideline.net/articles/spinning-rod-braided.htm

The article is really about selling his rods but it has some great advice on braid and leaders.

I have started using about a 15' leader after reading this as I am fishing fairly shallow swamps here in the lowcountry of SC.

18" to 36" for me

Knots:

Uni to Uni

Or

Bimini on braid to no name knot on flouro side

I'm going Yamamoto's way.If I'm retie often lures, going with longer 10-12 ft. If I'm using snap lock,going with 3-7 ft.Uni to Uni works for me very well.It's going very smooth through guides.You can put a drop of glue on it.Never had problem with this knot, but remember you should wetting it.You can't go wrong with 10-12#.

Adam

One of the reasons I use braid is for the lack of memory. If I need to use any mono/fluorocarbon leader, I certainly don't want to use enough to have it wrapped on the reel spool. That would be adding the very thing I am trying to avoid.

like that advice so could tie your leader on at a point about 1 ft up from the reel guide and that would give you about a good 10 ' of leader .

In my case the longest I would be using is 4'-5' depending on the rod length. I certainly would not have it double the rod length and have a kink about 1/2 way in the leader from attaching my bait to the hook keeper.

I start with about 6-8ft and keep cutting and retying until it shortens to about 2-3ft. I don't want the knot on the reel when I'm casting.