Sign in to follow this  
crankbait2009

reel grease/oil

I am in the process of shopping around for reel grease and/or oil. i have found a few at BPS ranging from $3-$10. I hear a lot of good things about the Abu Garcia brand which is closer to the $3 range and i also hear a lot about the Quantum Hot Sauce which is closer to the $10 range.

what is the difference between reel OIL and reel GREASE. are they both one in the same or do you need both?

i have looked at local Walmart and cannot find reel grease nor oil. i dont mind buying it from local BPS but not sure if i need both.

any help?

what is the difference between reel OIL and reel GREASE. are they both one in the same or do you need both?

You need both. Grease the gears, oil the bearings. I stopped greasing my worm gear due to attracting too much foreign matter. Oil works much better in the worm gear, just a few drops is all you need.

I was a big Hot Sauce user until this year. I have a few reels and service my own, so I get to see how well the grease and oil perform when I open up the reel at the end of the year.

This year after opening up a few reels, I was not very pleased at what I was looking at. Lots of black sludge, the grease had turned into hard deposits in some places. I was shocked!!

I'm not one for eating crow but I am one for giving credit where it is due. Reel Mech warned against using Hot Sauce and I blew it off. It seemed like a great lubricant and I still think the oil is not half bad, but I have decided against putting it back in my reels. I'm not taking a chance for that happening again.

I also used ZPI" oil and grease but it is very expensive and harder to find unless you order direct from Japan or eBay.

I've got sixteen Abu Garcia baitcasters, so all I ever use is their oil and grease. Every year when I clean them and lube them, I've never had a problem.

Falcon

When I clean my own reels, I'm using Ardent's Reel Butter and Reel Grease !!!  ;)

From what I can tell so far I really like it.  The grease is super sticky and the oil has about the same consistency as Yellow Rocket Fuel.  I also like the fact that everything I own now is not red.  I used to get that Hot Sauce everywhere.  :-/

how do you grease or oil the bearings? the gears is easy.

First, I take the reel completely apart and put all of my bearings into a heated ultrasonic cleaner for an hour. I change the solution if needed and put them in for another hour.

Second, I spin all the bearings on a small dowel to make sure they spin freely and not damaged. Bearings within the frame of the reel I usually put grease back into with this...http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=169165

Bearings that have higher RPM movement such as spool bearings I put one drop of oil per bearing. Too much will hinder casting distance and make the inside of your spool assembly a mess.

BTW, I wouldn't suggest taking your reel completely apart unless you have experience in that area.  Lots of small parts inside can be easily forgotten where they go once you get it all apart.  Make sure you have your reel schematic handy if you choose to do the work yourself. ;)

how do you grease or oil the bearings? the gears is easy.

First, I take the reel completely apart and put all of my bearings into a heated ultrasonic cleaner for an hour. I change the solution if needed and put them in for another hour.

Second, I spin all the bearings on a small dowel to make sure they spin freely and not damaged. Bearings within the frame of the reel I usually put grease back into with this...http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=169165

Bearings that have higher RPM movement such as spool bearings I put one drop of oil per bearing. Too much will hinder casting distance and make the inside of your spool assembly a mess.

BTW, I wouldn't suggest taking your reel completely apart unless you have experience in that area. Lots of small parts inside can be easily forgotten where they go once you get it all apart. Make sure you have your reel schematic handy if you choose to do the work yourself. ;)

how does that contraption in your link work? 40$?  wow... the reel didnt cost that much haha... the bearings are enclosed and hard to get to. i think they are sealed but its been awhile. ill look at them tonight or this weekend and see what i can come up with.

what is happening with my baitcaster (gift) i think its a shakespeare 30 dollar reel.. anyway i have been using it as a crank bait reel and everytime i cast after the first 10-15 casts it goes ZZZZZZ, cranking is no problem but the noise is annoying.. i dont have a lot of $$ to toss into fishing so i try to keep things in good working condition the best i can.. thanks

Jimzee, basser89,

Thanks for the kind words....

Redhed,

what is happening with my baitcaster (gift) i think its a shakespeare 30 dollar reel.. anyway i have been using it as a crank bait reel and everytime i cast after the first 10-15 casts it goes ZZZZZZ, cranking is no problem but the noise is annoying.. i
The bearings and shims need cleaned and re-lubed..

Good Luck & Tight Lines Soon!!!

Jimzee, basser89,

Thanks for the kind words....

Redhed,

what is happening with my baitcaster (gift) i think its a shakespeare 30 dollar reel.. anyway i have been using it as a crank bait reel and everytime i cast after the first 10-15 casts it goes ZZZZZZ, cranking is no problem but the noise is annoying.. i
The bearings and shims need cleaned and re-lubed..

Good Luck & Tight Lines Soon!!!

i ordered some gear oil and bearing grease from you 2 days ago ;)... after i get it i am going to do my best with that reel. i know its an el cheapo but i dont have the funds to invest in more expensive reels. thanks bud