Sign in to follow this  
Muad Dib

flipping/ pitchin problem?

hey fellas just started learning how to use a baitcaster. got me a bionic blade 7 ft mh suited with a citica 201e. still gettin backlashes but i can cast probably 25 yards with a 3/8 oz plug which i guess is good? but when i try to pitch and use my hand to control the spool and my off hand to pull some line out i have issues. as im pitching and i direct the plug to my target i let go with off hand with the extra line and as soon as the plug uses up that slack and needs more line it stops suddenly before the spool starts to give line? its not smoooth at all and even if my spool hand is totally off it still chokes up. need some help and sorry if my explanation wasnt clear ahha

trav

I like to have my cast control knob pretty loose while pitching.

It sounds like your cast control knob is too tight and/or you have the brakes set too high.  For flippin' and pitchin' you need the spool to be pretty loose.  

You are mixing flipping and pitching together.  When flipping, you pull just enough line off to make the flip.  It is a close quarters casting technique.  Once you have made on flip, you don't need to touch the reel as you work the same depth.

Pitching is a pendulum cast, where you hold the rod in one hand, and the bait in the other.  Drop the rod tip, and let go of the bait.  As it falls, raise the tip, adn release the spool.  Feather with your thumb as the bait swings away, and you'll get a nearly splash free entry.

If you go up to the Articles section of this site, there are a few that go into more detail about this.

You are mixing flipping and pitching together. When flipping, you pull just enough line off to make the flip. It is a close quarters casting technique. Once you have made on flip, you don't need to touch the reel as you work the same depth.

Pitching is a pendulum cast, where you hold the rod in one hand, and the bait in the other. Drop the rod tip, and let go of the bait. As it falls, raise the tip, adn release the spool. Feather with your thumb as the bait swings away, and you'll get a nearly splash free entry.

If you go up to the Articles section of this site, there are a few that go into more detail about this.

Good catch, J Francho.  He did say he was pulling the line out with his hand, didn't he.