Sign in to follow this  
KyCam

Shimano Citica 201D

I just bought a Shimano Citica 201D for about $80.00.  Just wondering if I got a good deal and if this is a good reel for a first time baitcaster.

I got one for the same price and it is worth double. Now for a starter something with cast control would have been better. It just means you'll have to be a little better at casting. So practice, practice and more practice. :D;) ;)

You will be fine and you will love it. Great reel. It's just large. I got the new citica so now my old one is used for heavier applications. Still a great reel and you got a good deal.

$80 isn't bad, but if its used I've seen them sell for less. I do think this is a good starter reel. I have several and now have 2 of the E's also

The Citica 201D was my first baitcaster as well. I now have the smaller 201E and use my old D for larger presentations like jigs, swimbaits, etc...

The D is a good starter reel. I think it is beneficial to start with a reel that has a wide spool. A wider spool provides more access to pick out backlashes that are more frequent for beginning baitcasters.

I got one for the same price and it is worth double. Now for a starter something with cast control would have been better. It just means you'll have to be a little better at casting. So practice, practice and more practice. :D;) ;)

:-?

By 'worth double' do you mean retails for double?

If you have the reel handly, find the little silver knob seated on the sideplate under the handle and drag star.  That is the cast control knob (or spool tension knob).