Sign in to follow this  
SuthernHaze

t-rig/jig setup

That would be a decent combo. The 703CEF is a good all-around rod if you are going to use the same rod for soft plastic t-rigging and jigs. If you are going with Yo Zuri I would use the Ultra-soft at 12 lb. If your jigging involves thick brush, wood, and vegetation, I would purchase an extra spool and keep some braid or heavier fluorocarbon/hybrid line on it for that purpose.

There are better Powell rods for fishing nothing but heavy cover though. The 765MH can handle lures up to one and a half ounces. At 7' 6'', it is longer than the 7 foot 703 and costs 30 dollars more. It's power rating is a 5 while the 703 is only a 3 per Powell's web site, http://powellco.com/productline2009.php.

Ultra Soft is specifically designed for spinning gear due to its lack of memory.  I just prefer it for this reason on any reel that I use.  I didn't mean to mislead you.  Hybrid is a good line as well.  

I'd definitely get the 4 power. I fish Dobyns rods, similar power ratings, and I fish jigs on a 765 and have on a 734 as well. But I wouldn't feel good about fishing jigs on a 3 power. Maybe that's just me.