Sign in to follow this  
coolhandlala

Loomis shakeyhead vs Loomis Drop shot rods

At some point this year I would like to get a dedicated rod for dropshotting and shakyheads.  Does anyone have both of these?  I was looking at the dsr820 and the shakyhead rod that has comparable line and lure ratings.  I am just wondering if there are any major differences in the actions and powers of these rods.  Are the tips similar?  I have fished a dsr820 and I loved it, but the shakeyhead is $20-$30 cheaper.  Just wondering what one would be better for both applications.

you might want to try posting this question on the tackletour forum. theres quite a few loomis owners there.

you might want to try posting this question on the tackletour forum. theres quite a few loomis owners there.

We have a few, too.

::)

I already read the TT reviews that is why I am asking the question...TT didn't really answer it.  It osunds like they are in love with the DSR820GLX, but I may have to wait a little lonfer to justify that purchase.  It sounds like either would be fine for both apps. so maybe I will just keep my eye out for 1 at a good price and let that help me decide.

I would look at the 802 or 852 GLX. I don't own the shaky head Loomis nor have I tried one, but I do own the 820 GLX dropshot rod. It is an awesome rod no doubt, but I have never fished a shakeyhead on it and I don't feel like this rods tip is suited for shakeyhead fishing. Most of my shakeyhead was done last year with the 853 GLX paired with a Shimano MG. It served my purpose, but it was a little out of its element with the 1/8oz weights. Here, I think that the 802/852 would shine.  Most Loomis guys rave about the 802/852 versatility for finesse applications (shakeyhead, dropshot, darthead, tubes). I can't wait to add this rod to my Loomis family. I hope this helps.  8-)

Cool,

I plan to get both the Shaky Head and Drop Shot Loomis rods in the near future.

I will use each one for their appropriate application.

Don't forget that any Loomis rod with the "GLX" in its signature is outstanding.

I would suggest considering going with both if you can afford it.

The economy and Bait Monkey await your decision.  ;D   ;D   ;D

I have the SHR821S.

I really like it. I bought it to fish one of my favorite techniques.....And for Shakin' it is perfect.

For drop shotting I prefer a longer rod, with a higher lure rating to be able to handle the drop shot weights I use.

In my mind there are better rods. Rogue rods are lighter, and just as sensitive for less money. But, the total combination of weight sensitivity, length, action, and warranty make it a great rod.