Sign in to follow this  
DeepStructure

Carolina rig rods vs. flipping sticks

Could you get a rod that could do decent double-duty? Something 7' or 7'6" in medium-heavy to heavy, fast action? Keep in mind I'm not a tournament angler, so I don't feel like I have to have the absolute best for each technique. Any recommendations?

When I movewd to an area with very clear lakes I started using my flipping stick for CRigging and it works just fine.

You definitely can, my flipping rod is doing triple duty at the moment. I use it for flipping, c-rigs, and frogs. I prefer a 7'6" heavy for the techniques I have mentioned but length is mostly personal preference  :(.

That's how mine is going to be used...I have a 7'6''H castaway big show with 50lb sufix braid that is going to be used this year for flipping, C-rig (if I ever really use it...want to but haven't yet), frogs, and small swimbaits

I currently use a Shimano Crucial 7' 6" H/F for flippin'/pitchin' and frogs. I was looking into the Falcon Cara T7 7'6" H/F one piece and it is labeled as Carolina rigs. The same size rod with telescopic handle is labeled flippin'/pitchin'? What is the difference? The one piece is rated to handle a little bit heavier lures too.

Agree with what everyone else has said.  

The reason can do both is because they are both single hook applications (vs. treble) where you want a sensitive rod. Like everyone has stated, med-hvy, hvy with a fast action is the desired power and action. Med-hvy to hvy power to drive the hook for a sure hook set and a fast action to immediately bring the power of the rod into play.

The only "drawback", and its minor, is that the flipping/pitching rod will typically allow for heavier baits (1/2 to 1 1/2 oz) where a true C-rig/worm rod will spec lighter lures (1/4 to 3/4 oz). So, the heavier rod will be a little less sensitive. However, I believe it would be negligible for most folks.

BTW, with a fast or extra fast action, depending upon the size of the lure, could also make a decent spinnerbait rod as well. :(

Eddie