Sign in to follow this  
Sharpie

Permantly Bent G. Lomis rod

Well about 1 year ago. My gf and I were on a fishing trip. I had borowed my parents van for the trip. The fishing rods were up agianst the window (windows are resses from door panel) with the tips twards the front of the van. We were unloading the van when the gf opened the fishing rod side door. The tip of my g. lomis rod bent all of the way around till the tip of the rod touched back 3 or 4 eyes back. I was amazed that the rod didn't break. The rod just has a permant bend the right. Is this something that is covered with the warranty? It just casts to the right. Its not a huge deal just didn't know if this would be covered

You're opening the clubface on the ball causing that slice. Try slowing your backswing and keep your hips in alignment throughout the downswing. That should close the clubface and straighten out the shot.

Well about 1 year ago. My gf and I were on a fishing trip. I had borowed my parents van for the trip. The fishing rods were up agianst the window (windows are resses from door panel) with the tips twards the front of the van. We were unloading the van when the gf opened the fishing rod side door. The tip of my g. lomis rod bent all of the way around till the tip of the rod touched back 3 or 4 eyes back. I was amazed that the rod didn't break. The rod just has a permant bend the right. Is this something that is covered with the warranty? It just casts to the right. Its not a huge deal just didn't know if this would be covered

And is she still your girlfriend?! ;D

And is she still your girlfriend?!

Oh yeah She still is. She has done worse. Like forgeting my ski pants once when it was 20 deg with 5 in snow though the day with 20 mph winds. Ohh yea I sported the wrangler jeans at a fancy ski resort in northern Michigan.

Call them. Loomis is awesome in the customer service department.

I'll play the odd man out...

I don't think any single bend, regardless of how severe will not permanently bend a rod. It if could, EVERY rod I own (and most people here) would permanently look as if I had a fish hanging off the end. The only exceptions I've seen are when it's leaned with a good bend in storage... over extended periods of time. (like months or years)

It's far more likely that the blank was not straight to begin with and you only noticed it after the incident. As for casting... there are many variables.

As to the original warranty question, the Xpeditor is unconditional, and no questions asked. They even say car doors...

The only time anything close to this ever happened to me was when I left an old Daiwa Tournament Ti UL rod in my car on a very hot day.  The tip was VERY flexible, and was bent over.  To this day there is a permanent bend in the tip.  Its such a limber rod though, once you tie a 1/16 oz. jig on, it fishes just fine.

Hard to think that one bend like that resulted in a permanent bend unless it stayed bent for more than a brief period of time.

A bend which remains in a rod for a lenthy period of time can result in a "permanent" bend due to memory.

Here's a trick which sometimes works to restore the original memory in any fiberglass or composite product.

Hang the rod by the tip.  Attach a weight to the butt end, maybe 3 - 5 pounds.  Using a hair dryer, or a heat gun (be careful with a heat gun, it can cause damage used in one place or is held too close to the rod) apply heat to the bent section.  

You should see the bend "relax" into a straight alignment.

Stop applying the heat, and let the rod remain hanging for a couple of days.  If you're lucky, the "memory" in the rod will be "reset" to a straight line.

A hair dryer might not work.  If you use a heat gun, keep it at least 6 - 8 inches away, and keep it moving.  Be sure to apply heat to the entire bend.

The rod should never feel more than warm to the touch.