Sign in to follow this  
dmac14

Applications that require sensitive rods.

Which applications require a very sensitive rod. ie flippin, jig and worm, spinnerbaits, dropshot, Shaky head, carolina rig, crankbaits, swimbaits, etc

Thanks

-Dmac

I actually think that ANY application benefits from a sensitive stick, though it isn't always the huge advantage that it is in with what has been mentioned.  Sometimes its not always about detecting the bite, but more detecting the cover.  Think cranking in laydowns or stumps/dick pilings, or slow rolling a spinnerbait through coontail.

Yeah when I mentioned crankbaits the first thing I thought about was feeling the cover.

In terms of upgrading which is more important?

By far, as mentioned - finesse plastics, jigs, and t-rig rods.  Let me know if you want to hook up, and I can let you try out a few setups.

Hmm well this summer I am starting to fish tournys, you think the boaters will let me try out their set ups?

And i just bought a AVC70MH rod for jigs and worms, I hope this will show me into a more sensitive fishing atmosphere, all my previous rods were less than $70.

What kind of rods do You usually fish with jFrancho?

I might have too, my biggest worry is I am not sure I can feel the difference, so I don't wanna go out and spend all my money on expensive rods and find no difference.

I like to fish topwater stuff with my old whimpy glass Ugly stick rod. it's a lot harder to pull it away from them with a glass rod.

I might have too, my biggest worry is I am not sure I can feel the difference, so I don't wanna go out and spend all my money on expensive rods and find no difference.

Try out his rods, "im almost positive you will tell a difference  8-)"

Once I get my avid (in about two weeks), I will see if I can feel it. I cannot wait....I hope there is a significance difference in sensitivity.

Hmm well, I have a Cables Pro Guide IM6, a "pro tournament", and a few quantum IM6 combos. The Pro Tournament was bought at a local tackle shop.  I also own a Quantum Tenacity fro dicks.

I have a 7' woo daves heavy and one medium, how do those rank in the sensitivity? I'm curious to see if there would be a huge difference between those and others

you'll love the avid

like said before When you are using any bait that as you are fishing you will have some slack in the line like jigs, worms, at times spinner baits depending on how you are fishing it.. thats when a good rod really comes in to play.. you can fish crank baits on a stick that you dont get much feel from so long as you are fishing open water when ripping cranks out of cover a good stick comes in to play then..like i just said tho if the baits always on a tight line you can get away with a rod that doesnt have much feel... if you are fishing a bait thats on slack line a lot get a rod that has a lot of feel to it.

great choice, you'll love it. ive spent thousands of dollars since i found this forum. beware!

Yeah my outcome is looking similar.

I have All Stars, Kistlers, and Avids.

a sensitive rod is almost a must for worm/ jig and finesse applications . I also like it for cranking when you really need to find out whats down there.. all i use is carrot stiks and shimano :D