Sign in to follow this  
6pointbuck2003

Line color?

I normly use cajun line. but i switched over to some p-line fluorocarbon for when i went south and fished some clearer water. i seem to be getting more bites now since the switch. What colors do yall prefer for different water clearities? is there ever a good time to switch over to red line?

In a nutshell, I use flouro on any bait that sinks .... regardless of water clarity. On other baits like topwater that don't sink, I use green.

I've never used red line before. Most days its clear of moss green. I've been known to use clear/blue for other situations.

I have noticed that on my frog rod I've got braided line (50 lb. Power-Pro.) It'll catch the hell out of 'em on top water, but as soon as you tie on a spinnerbait, crank, or anything that is submerged, its almost like the fish can see my line... and refuse to bite. If I switch rods and tie that same spinnerbait or crank to clear or translucent line, I'll usually see a difference. :)

Out of the stuff cajun line seems to be strong stuff thats why i use it. The only time i use braid is when i am flipping or pitching. it doesnt seem to work for anything else around me.

Over the years the 2 line colors that have stood the test of time for bass fishing are; clear and dull green. Florescent yellow, florescent blue, pink, red, coffee brown all have been hot at times.

The big unknown is; does line color affect the bass bite?

I use clear fluorocarbon and light green mono. I can see the clear fluoro better and use it for soft plastics and jigs. Mono for crankbaits, top water and spinnerbaits; it cast better, less expensive and reaction strikes are easy to detect.

Cajun line isn't any stronger than any other premium mono IMO. When determining line strength there are a lot of factors to consider; line diameter is often over looked and very important. Knot types are another factor; Palomar works good for mono, poor for fluorocarbon for example. Getting way off track. Color is a choice each fisherman makes to suite his/her own preference, the bass don't seem to care.

WRB

I use two colors and three lines. I have a (2) 8lb Yo-zuri reels and a 12lb Yo-zuri fluoro reel. Also have a 40lb spiderwire braid reel. They seems to all work great and have had no issues. I use standard and moss green.

6 lbs ---> Flourescent blue

8 lbs ---> Green

10 lbs --> Clear

12 lbs --> Green

14 lbs --> Florescent blue

17 lbs --> Clear

That 's how I color code the line in my reels, just by looking at the line color I know the pound test. You may think that 2 reels having the same color line can lead to mistakes......... well, if you can 't discriminate between 8 lbs and 12 lbs then you really are in trubble, it 's evident that one is a lot thicker than the other.

Toledo Bend has very clear water but it has color if that makes sense and at certain times depending on the water color it can be extremely hard to see your line. Age has a little something to do with I think, anyway I'll use Berkley Big Game in Amber, Solar Blue, or Mean Green.

That is until April when I start night fishing and then it don't matter :)

I use two types of line. 12# Trilene XL Clear Blue Fluorescent, and 40# Stren Super/Sonic Braid low vis green.

Falcon