Sign in to follow this  
TonyD2001

Pflueger rod?

Hey everyone, I have a general newbie question here so bear with me.  I took a quick trip to Sports Authority at lunch and to my surprise I found a Pflueger rod/reel (6740) combo on the clearance rack for 49.99.  Now I know the reel is great for the money (this is now the best reel I own) but are the Pfueger rods any good?  It says its a medium, 7', 1 piece, IM8 graphite.  Should I upgrade the rod?  

I will use this rod for pretty much everything, so I dont have the time or want to really lug around multiple rods/reels.  

Also, I have Power Pro 30#/8 phantom red color braid that I was thinking of spooling up and using it with a Seaguars 30# flouro leader.  I will be fishing mostly senko's and soft plastics and a few crankbaits.  Should I use the braid or should I just use mono/floro?  

Sorry for all the questions. :)    

Stay with rod, can't find an Im 8 any cheaper at least for now, I'm sure it will be fine.

Is that a trion reel? I think it's a 39.95 reel so you got the rod for 10 bucks, decent enough of a deal.

I think 30 # braid may be too heavy for general use, but's doable. I always use a leader, but it's a personal choice.

I think 30 # braid may be too heavy for general use, but's doable. I always use a leader, but it's a personal choice.

I have a Symetre 3500 spooled with 30# PowerPro that I use for jigs, soft plastics, and the occasional spinnerbait. No problems at all. It's the same diameter as the 8# mono I had been using.

i got the same combo.

at the time sports authority had it for $59.xx but i had a $10 off coupon.

love the reel , havnt used the rod yet but it seems to be good , especially for the money.

Stay with rod, can't find an Im 8 any cheaper at least for now, I'm sure it will be fine.

Is that a trion reel? I think it's a 39.95 reel so you got the rod for 10 bucks, decent enough of a deal.

6740 is a President....if that's the case then you would get a free rod...I love my President 6740