Sign in to follow this  
TrippyJai

Fenwick HMG

Can you give me your experiences with this rod? I want the 7' MH-Fast to be used as an all around rod; t-rigs, up to 3/8-1/2oz jigs, 3/8-1/2oz spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, paddle tail swimbait, etc. Most lilkely everything except cranks and lighter apps..

How does it compare to a maybe a Crucial or a Compre? How it handles, the sensitivity?

Btw, what is carbon veil? This is a graphite rod right?

It is a graphite rod.  The GT70MH is a decent rod.  I have one I use as a backup worm/jig rod.  Haven't fished it enough to really form an opinion.

I have that rod. It's the GT70MH model. I have 5 other HMGs as well.

The HMG is an outstanding rod. That particular rod is light, and extremely sensitive. I've used mine for various applications including c-rig, heavy t-rigs, some jigs, heavier spinnerbaits, wakebaits, and smaller swimbaits. But it really excels where you need sensitivity.

I've never fished a Compre, but I've fished a Crucial and I think the HMG is superior with respect to sensitivity. That's also consistent with most posts I've read from others that have used both. In fact most people, from posts I've read, that have fished the Avid and the HMG find them very comparable. I've fished a Avid that was similar to my GT66M (6'6" medium) and they felt virtually the same. Given the price, the HMG represents a better value.

HMG's are covered by a lifetime Warranty. I did manage to break my first 7' MH. But the store where I bought it administered the warranty. I walked in with a broken rod and walked out with a new one.

The HMG is a graphite rod. The Carbon Veil is described in this Tackle Tour review. BTW, HMGs use Fugi Hardloy guides now, not Berkleys.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfenwickhmg.html

I purchased a 6'6" medium power spinning rod awhile ago and absolutely love the rod and also ended up getting a 6' spinning rod a couple weeks ago.  In all honesty I like it better than the compre I've owned and alittle better than my crucial I've got. Sensitivity wise I think they on par with the crucial I own. Where I live I've seen them as low as $69.97, so you might be able to find a good deal on them.   As far as the Carbon Viel goes I'm really not sure what it is and the blanks are graphite. I think think the 7FT MH would be a great all around rod.   Hope this helps.

Jacob

Where I live I've seen them as low as $69.97, so you might be able to find a good deal on them.

Jacob

That's an incredible deal. I think i get a good deal when I buy them for ~$109. Here...

http://www.greentophuntfish.com/

(Note:  Greentop is just going on-line so hardly any of there stuff actually shown on their website.  You can call them for a price and they will ship it to you.  Great prices and great service.)

That is a pretty awesome rod IMO. I had one that i used for pitching t-rigged plastics. It is sensitive and STRONG!

Yeah the two I bought where $69.97. My local Sportsmans is clearancing a ton of stuff. They have alot of lucky craft crankbaits on sale as well. Just wish my hours at work didn't get cut back so much. Kinda sucks working in aerospace in a recession :)

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I will buy 1 or 2 HMGs. My local tackle shop is selling them for about $110cad + tax which is an excellent deal.