Sign in to follow this  
cambridgefisherman

Daiwa Fuego spinning reel

I just purchased the older model (2500) from 2006 and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it and what their thoughts on it are. It was definitely a bargin at Bass Pro for $110 considering it was originally in the $240 range

[movedhere] Fishing Tackle [move by] Glenn.

This was my impression of it when I bought the 3000 size in 1/06... and it hasn't changed.  

The Dr. finally cleared me to fish right handed with spinning gear only.  (had rotator cuff surgery back in early October)   I treated myself to a new Team Diawa Fuego 3000 (sort of a baitmonkey's "welcome back" ;D) on Sunday, and got to take it out fishing on Monday!

Anyway, the reel is fantastic!  No, it's not a Stella but it is the finest, smoothest, best casting, lightest spinning reel I have ever used.  I was fortunate enough to catch several fish on it, a few of them took drag... the drag system is like butter... so smooth I never felt it giving line, I just heard it and saw the spool turning.  It has a wide range of available drag pressure and it is as smooth at 2 lbs as it is at 8lbs. plus.  I was truly impressed.  This reel casts SO much better than all my others... I don't know if it's the shape of the spool or smoothness of the lip.  I also like the manual trip for the bail.  And when the bail closes it sounds (a little louder than most other spinning reels) like the action of a fine firearm, crisp, solid and all business.

If you are considering a Fuego... let me give you a solid recommendation.