Sign in to follow this  
Chris at Tech

loose real seat

Hey all,

As I was cleaning the cork grips on my rods today, I noticed on of the real seats was a bit loose.  Is this something I can remedy myself, or do I need to bring in a pro?

Do you mean the reel sits in the seat loose, even when locked down as tight as you can get it, or the reel seat itself is loose on the blank?

If it's the reel loose in the seat a few wraps of electrical tape around your reels foot will solve that, if the seat is loose on the blank I would take it to a pro, they will probably have to take the seat off and "re shim" it or what ever they do ( I am not a rod builder so this is just my best guess) to tighten it up

I guess I could have been clearer...

The reel seat is loose on the blank itself.  The reel fit is fine.

I fixed one of mine a few years ago by drilling four small holes in the reel seat. Two on opposite sides; just ahead of the trigger. And two more; on opposite sides just behind the threads. Mixed up some two-part slow cure epoxy, and forced it into the holes with a toothpick.

Two things to really pay attention to. Do not drill into the blank. If you do that, you are done; the rod will break. And, make sure the seat is straight, lined up with the guides, and will stay in the correct orientation while the epoxy sets.

I sanded mine smooth after the epoxy cured, then hit it with a sharpie to make less noticeable.

If the rod is a Loomis®, I would use the Expeditor system. Otherwise find a local rod builder to repair the reel seat. It would have to be drilled at a minimum and epoxy plugged.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!