Sign in to follow this  
spruce

Need some opinions on a new Bait cast rod

Just getting back into the fishing scene after about 10 years ;)

I bought a Diawa Advantage HST reel and I cant pull the rigger on a rod. I know  there is no such thing as an "all around" rod but  I want something close. I probably wont fish alot of crankbaits or treble hook lures, mostly platic lures and maybe some spinner bait/ buzz bait, but would like to be able to throw some cranks if I feel the urge. lol.       I will fish mostly from shore also.

Looking to keep it around 120-130.00

Thanks for any advise

Getche a Team Diawa S rod. I have the 7'0" jiggin rod and it is a decent all arounder allthough it is better with plastics. I dont know how well it'd do with cranks though. The only XP I have there is ripping lippless baits through grass. To be a good cranking rod you have to sacrifice hook-set power which takes away from your plastics ability.

Another option might be a 6'6" MH BPS extreme rod. Ive been surprised what I can throw on it but I usually throw spinnerbaits and chatter type baits.

Right in your 120-130 dollar range is a Team Daiwa Light and Tough rod. The 7' medium is about as close to an all around rod as your likely to find.

They make two 7' medium L&T rods. You don't want the cheaper of the two. That one is a crankbait rod, and an excellent one for the price.

The TL-701-3FB is the one you want.

Cheers,

GK

You might want to check out All Star's Team All Star line. I think they are a lot of rod for the money(less than $100.00).

They have two different 7' Medium actions.

I have the 6'8" MH it is a custom by Flechero and that is my all round rod. I can throw just about anything with it, I haven't thrown many crank baits though. I too fish mostly from the bank and when I had this rod built I was using a 6'6" M action rod and as a bank fisher I had troubles landing fish. If you fish the outside edge of a weedbed from the bank you have to get the fish THROUGH the weedbed not away from it as a boater does.

Just my .02 worth

A little more then you may want to spend but you might consider The Avid series by St. Croix or the Crucial series by Shimano.  Both are excellent rods.

Later, ;)

"Another option might be a 6'6" MH BPS extreme rod"  I have checked those out at my local BPS and they seemed very very stiff, like they had no flex at all. Not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing.

keep the suggestions coming , thanks for all the replys so far.

A little more then you may want to spend but you might consider The Avid series by St. Croix or the Crucial series by Shimano. Both are excellent rods.

Later, ;)

Do you have a model# for a St. Croix that you would recommend. I've looked at some of their rods and they seem very nice

Avid or Crucial,  Daiwa reels don't like being on Shimano Rods though  ;)

I know it's a little out of the price range but I picked up a 6'9''MH Carrot Stix LTX and Bass Pro yesterday and am blown away.  I already had a 6'10''MH 21 Carrot Gold Stix but was a little disappointed at the flimsiness of the rod but the LTX is another story.  Extremely light and plenty of backbone for plastics and jigs, right length for top water, for me, and just enough give in the tip with the fast action for spinnerbaits.  IMO a great all-around rod.

I would also say a 6'6''M BPS Pro Qualifier, that's what I use as an everything from the bank rod; plastics, jigs, cranks, spinners, topwater, even jerkbaits occasionally.

I picked up a Quantum Energy PT 7' MHF rod from Tackle Warehouse. Only a $110! I've been using this rod for throw plastics. Might pick up another for throwing spinnerbaits!