Sign in to follow this  
bmadd

Powell Owners

As I was unloading my Powell 684 CB out of the boat this afternoon, I noticed that the cork handle looked a lot different. This rod is almost two months old and the cork is starting to show some serious signs of pitting. The filler looks to be coming out and is very noticeable as it is now a different shade than the actual cork  :-/ I love the rod but this is really bugging me. Any other Powell owners have any problems with their cork like this?

I have had mine for about the same amount of time and I haven't had any problems with the cork.

I would try to contact Powell about this.

As a whole in the fishing industry cork grades are decreasing and prices are rising.  Good cork is getting hard to find.  If you want to repair your handle, clean it well with denatured alcohol and apply wood filler that matches the cork and lightly sand.

I have one of their swimbait rods for 2 years or so, the cork is fine. I think Powell has a good warranty, I would definitely get in touch with them

I just got my Powell flippin stick and it seems to have quality cork on it!

As a whole in the fishing industry cork grades are decreasing and prices are rising. Good cork is getting hard to find.

dude at basspro told me this this other day, that's why you see these manufacturers like the carrot stik putting foam on it and marketing it as better than cork.  i hate foam.  it's ok on my kid's equipment and crappie poles.