Sign in to follow this  
Paul Benner

Shimano Spirex 1000RG

Does anyone use this reel?  I was looking at adding this to my "father's day wishlist" since I need a new reel for the spinning rod my father passed down to me.  Time to replace the AX200 on it.

Anyone have any pros and cons about this specific reel for softbait applications and small lures?

Thanks,

Paul

i had the previous version of the spirex. they're nice reels but really aimed at newer or more casual anglers. the quick fire triggers are really convenient and a great way for beginners to learn how to cast with. however, because of the quick fire feature, the reel cannot incorporate an instant anti-reverse bearing resulting in a significant amount of backplay when trying to set the hook. i think the design is more prone to line twisting too.

if you already know how to cast well, i'd recommend a more-traditional design. it won't be as easy to cast nor as convenient but you'll get better performance.

i'd also recommend you consider getting a reel with the drag in the front, not the rear. reels with front drags have a smoother and more consistent drag.

In the same price range or 60-80 dollars, is there another model of Shimano reel that fits this model?  I'm still a semi-beginner when it comes to spinning setups, I understand how they work, and I know how to cast, just haven't really gotten out to practice.

Let me know,

Paul

I'm gonna go off on a limb here and guess that you're gonna get a lot of "spend the extra $20 and get a Symetre" replies! ;)

I'm gonna go off on a limb here and guess that you're gonna get a lot of "spend the extra $20 and get a Symetre" replies! ;)

In the same price range or 60-80 dollars, is there another model of Shimano reel that fits this model? I'm still a semi-beginner when it comes to spinning setups, I understand how they work, and I know how to cast, just haven't really gotten out to practice.

paul, there is the shimano sedona FD for $60 and the shimano sahara FD for $80, both of which are nice reels (i have symetre FJs and a sahara FD).

all that being said, my wife hates spinning gear but she liked the quick fire trigger because it is so convenient and easy to use. i'm actually considering picking up a spirex FG for my 9 year old and my wife to use.

Maybe it's just me...but that quick fire trigger gave me trouble.I got 60% more line twist problems than the traditional open bail manually.

Granted it's not the same reel,but that experience just keep me away from any other reels with quick fire triggers on them.Great concept,but you are better off staying away from them. I know i am.  

I assume that there is a mjor difference that you can notice between the Sahara and the Symetre, yes?

Best,

Paul

I assume that there is a mjor difference that you can notice between the Sahara and the Symetre, yes?

with my eyes closed, i'd be hard-pressed to differentiate between them. the extra $20 gets you one extra ball bearing, a one-piece bail wire and a cool deep green paint job so it's up to you if it's worth the extra bucks.

x2. The Sahara and Sedona are alright, but sweetness starts at the Symetre.  8-)

Best,

Paul

With the previous models, I could feel a difference from a smoothness POV. Can't address a comparison of the innards. The symetre was superior in smoothness alone. I can't speak about the newer models.  The newer sahara might be (and better be) on par with the previous symetre on smoothness since it took that price point.

With the previous models, I could feel a difference from a smoothness POV. Can't address a comparison of the innards. The symetre was superior in smoothness alone. I can't speak about the newer models. The newer sahara might be (and better be) on par with the previous symetre on smoothness since it took that price point.

yes, shimano expanded their spinning lineup by introducing the new sonora reel and moving the sedona and sahara upmarket with the FD-series.

Just go and buy the Pflueger already.......... ;)