Sign in to follow this  
dmac14

Took apart my first reel today...

There are alot of little parts that like to fall on the ground, good thing none fell on me  ;). But it felt good to successfully pull apart and put back together the whole thing. Next I will do a thorough cleaning. My questions are which parts are most important to clean and lube and oil? I assume the bearings on the side plate near the braking, (I have an STX), also the spool tension knob. But what about the gears inside the reel? Do i grease them, and how so? Also what is your favorite reel oil/lubricant?

Thanks

-Dylan

I like the Quantum Hot Sauce, but then again all my reels are Quantums (thats all they ever will be).

Hot sauce is designed specifically for the Quantum PT bearings so you probably dont want to use that on a STX

Hot sauce is designed specifically for the Quantum PT bearings so you probably dont want to use that on a STX

Eh they'll get over it.

But I will use hot sauce on my PT's

Don't waste your money on Hot Sauce for the reel (let the quantum user's have it). Garcia bottles a good reel oil and grease, use them or take a look here...

http://www.***/shopping/shop/store/reel-repair-supplies01.html

As far as cleaning parts, if your going to break the reel open then clean them all. For re-lubing the reel, grease on the main drive gear teeth only, and oil (one drop) on bearings.

Do not try to lubricate the one-way with grease, it only gets a light oil swab.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

Don't waste your money on Hot Sauce for the reel (let the quantum user's have it).

I love my Quantum reels! But I HATE Hot Sauce!!!!! Junk, IMO. Ardent Reel Butter and grease work better for me!

The only thing I use Hot Sauce for is the clippers I shave my head with.

Other than that, its either the bottles that came w/ the Shimano reels or Ardent.

The only thing I use Hot Sauce for is the clippers I shave my head with.

Other than that, its either the bottles that came w/ the Shimano reels or Ardent.

Just spewed coffee and cookie everywhere, thinking about you with your nice, shiny, shaved head; stained PINK

Don't waste your money on Hot Sauce for the reel (let the quantum user's have it).

I love my Quantum reels! But I HATE Hot Sauce!!!!! Junk,

Same here