Sign in to follow this  
bassinboston

Simple Rod Storage Question

I keep my rods in my SUV most of the time.  I place the one piece rods so the handle and reel are in the trunk and the rods extend over the back seat towards the front of the car.  The rods are long enough that they are bent against the inside roof of the SUV in the final foot or so.  Will this damage the rods to keep them bent like this while I am not fishing.  The bend is not severe at all but it makes me nervous sometimes.  What do you guys think? Thanks.

The bend is not severe at all but it makes me nervous sometimes. .

I'll be too...but all the time.

As a rod builder I wouldn't store my rods in any vehicle, and I don't care how often they are used.

Cars/trucks get hot, and the insides get even hotter. The description of your rod tips being long enough to bend at the roof isn't good.

The roof gets hot, the inside of the cap gets hot. Graphite starts to get soft around 300°F. So the inside of your car gets to 105° or above in the summer, I can almost guarantee a slight bend sets in the tips upper 1/3rd action of the rods.

If your not on an outing to the local waters, store your rods in a cool place and vertically without reels mounted..

Just an old builders .02¢

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!  

on my way to the lake i store mine in my suv and put them in the boat when i get there. mine do the same thing as yours. i fish with 12 and drive an explorer. imagine that ;D. i have never had a problem with it, and have been doing it a long time. at home mine stay in the house ,so i dont know about it if you keep them in there all of the time.

Expensive Fly rods, Waders, Pontoon boat etc. all in the back of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. What to do??? Oh! Dear me...

p022969hz01.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp;jsessionid=R3KAM0TIOX0IVLAQBBKSCONMCAEFAIWE?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21412-cat21462-cat600033&rid=&indexId=cat600033&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=0&parentType=index&parentId=cat600033&id=0022969&_requestid=59992

Not Cheap but It's flawless and I get lots of comments on it.

I also transport my B/C & Spin rods when bank fishing local ponds. But NEVER leave them overnight. Oh BTW 8' rods will fit in Grand Cherokee.

Hope you find what you need.