Sign in to follow this  
Fish Fast

Which reel do you think is better

I have a revo stx and so far it has been AWESOME.  I am thinking about the zillion as my next...maybe even the zillion 4.9:1.  However; the revo has been soooooo good so far that I don't know if I can justify spending the extra money for minimal if any performance increase.

I say definitely Revo man! All i own is Revos and have had zero problems with them.

Up until this last fall, I owned 10 Revos (3 STX, 2 SX, 2 SC, 2 S and 1 Winch) and no Daiwas. Now I own 5 Revos (3 STX and 2 S) and 8 Daiwas (5 Zillions, 2 Fuegos and 1 Sol). Revos are great reels, but that's how good the Daiwas are.

STX versus Zillion. This is my experience:

The Zillion is smoother. The STX is plenty smooth, but you have to try a Zillion to believe it. It is on a different plane.

The Zillion palms better. The pawl cap doesn't strike your index finger when it's wrapped around the front of the reel. It does on the Revo.  If you don't do this, it's a moot point. But I do so I like this in the Zillion better.

The Zillion is finished better overall. From tolerances to polishing, the Zillion is the winner here.

The Zillion's brake is more effective.

The Zillion casts better overall. This one is close, but still the Zillion edges out the STX. After several months of use, I find the Zillion casts all weights better. I can get more distance out of a Zillion with exactly the same line, same rod and same lure than I can the STX. Now, this is purely acedemic if you are target fishing, but for cranking, c-rigging or just covering water it is an advantage.

The STX's drag is better. No question. I have't had an issue with the Zillions, but I don't have to crank the STX's drag down as hard to pull up a 4 lb fish and 3 lbs of muck. The STX drag is just as smooth as the Zillion's, too.

The STX is easier to break down and maintain.

The STX feels like it could reel in a submerged Chevy. The Zillion feels powerful, but the STX is a real winch.

The STX is $69 less than the Zillion and is backed by the best customer service in the industry.

----

The Zillion and the STX are very close. For all practical purposes, they will do the same job equally well. Both are so good, it comes down to splitting hairs. Where the Zillion wins, IMO, it doesn't in by much. But for another $69 it ought to win.

In short, either reel is fantastic. I would have gotten rid of all my Revos if the Zillions were that much better. You can't go wrong with either. $200 for a workhorse Revo STX, of $269 for a Zillion. You get

about $69 more refinement in the Zillion. But it won't help you win any tournaments.

BTW, I have a Zillion High Power, too. Great reel. Compared to the Curado 200DPV, it cast heavier baits better. Compared to the Revo Winch, it casts light baits better. It is a fantastic all-round cranking reel.

Up until this last fall, I owned 10 Revos (3 STX, 2 SX, 2 SC, 2 S and 1 Winch) and no Daiwas. Now I own 5 Revos (3 STX and 2 S) and 8 Daiwas (5 Zillions, 2 Fuegos and 1 Sol). Revos are great reels, but that's how good the Daiwas are.

The Zillion is smoother. The STX is plenty smooth, but you have to try a Zillion to believe it. It is on a different plane.

The Zillion palms better. The pawl cap doesn't strike your index finger when it's wrapped around the front of the reel. It does on the Revo. If you don't do this, it's a moot point. But I do so I like this in the Zillion better.

The Zillion is finished better overall. From tolerances to polishing, the Zillion is the winner here.

The Zillion casts better overall. This one is close, but still the Zillion edges out the STX. After several months of use, I find the Zillion casts all weights better. I can get more distance out of a Zillion with exactly the same line, same rod and same lure than I can the STX. Now, this is purely acedemic if you are target fishing, but for cranking, c-rigging or just covering water it is an advantage.

The STX's drag is better. No question. I have't had an issue with the Zillions, but I don't have to crank the STX's drag down as hard to pull up a 4 lb fish and 3 lbs of muck. The STX drag is just as smooth as the Zillion's, too.

The STX feels like it could reel in a submerged Chevy. The Zillion feels powerful, but the STX is a real winch.

The STX is $69 less than the Zillion and is backed by the best customer service in the industry.

----

The Zillion and the STX are very close. For all practical purposes, they will do the same job equally well. Both are so good, it comes down to splitting hairs. Where the Zillion wins, IMO, it doesn't in by much. But for another $69 it ought to win.

In short, either reel is fantastic. I would have gotten rid of all my Revos if the Zillions were that much better. You can't go wrong with either. $200 for a workhorse Revo STX, of $269 for a Zillion. You get

about $69 more refinement in the Zillion. But it won't help you win any tournaments.

BTW, I have a Zillion High Power, too. Great reel. Compared to the Curado 200DPV, it cast heavier baits better. Compared to the Revo Winch, it casts light baits better. It is a fantastic all-round cranking reel.

id have to agree with this whole post and add that i feel the Revo line is IMO $30 over priced retail. to me the STX just doesnt have "that" feel i get from even my Sol let alone the Zillion.

i had thought the Daiwa line was priced ok until the $20 bump they received.

I now use my Revos for my heaviest applications.  My Revo STX-HS (7.1:1)  is on my H/XF frog rod.  I have two Revo STX (6.4:1) on MH/F spinnerbait rods that I use for fishing space monkeys and swimming senkos.  I have a Revo S on my carolina rig rod, and another on my flipping rod.   With their power and great drags, they excel fishing heavier lures and in slop.

I thought this to be a toss up as both reels excel in particualr applications but both are outstanding reels, so I voted. 50-50 vote, I agree. Really boils down to what you may use the reel for and how much you care to spend. Both are worth the money.

The Zillion palms better. The pawl cap doesn't strike your index finger when it's wrapped around the front of the reel. It does on the Revo. If you don't do this, it's a moot point. But I do so I like this in the Zillion better.

----

Micro,

Just wanted to say that's one of the best comparison posts I've ever seen.  Thanks for taking the time to write all that out...  it was written so well that I'm actually considering a Zillion now. ...lol

Micro,

Just wanted to say that's one of the best comparison posts I've ever seen. Thanks for taking the time to write all that out... it was written so well that I'm actually considering a Zillion now. ...lol

Thanks. But understand this is how the Daiwa illness begins. You buy one becasue you've heard good things about them. Next thing you know, your addicted. Zillions are the crack of the fishing world.

In just a couple of months I went from zero Daiwas to this...

http://bzty5q.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pYAxw8qRwSfamXTU3pgLJWR8ZhCotadAJXPJB2A4XjizKnDRuOOqNFicPiSW3OKtrtd7XkmoT61AUv3dt1KTgOw/004.jpg

Wow, Your bait monkey must love you. That is one good looking picture.

Micro,

Just wanted to say that's one of the best comparison posts I've ever seen. Thanks for taking the time to write all that out... it was written so well that I'm actually considering a Zillion now. ...lol

Thanks. But understand this is how the Daiwa illness begins. You buy one becasue you've heard good things about them. Next thing you know, your addicted. Zillions are the crack of the fishing world.

http://bzty5q.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pYAxw8qRwSfamXTU3pgLJWR8ZhCotadAJXPJB2A4XjizKnDRuOOqNFicPiSW3OKtrtd7XkmoT61AUv3dt1KTgOw/004.jpg

bless you child

;D  ;D

Micro,

OMG!!!!!!

You are single handily keeping them in business through this recession man, LOL!  ;D

Micro,

OMG!!!!!!

You are single handily keeping them in business through this recession man, LOL! ;D

Dude! Holy Smokes! You need to change your screen name to Macro!  ;D Beeeeaauuuutifullllllll.

Thanks for the pic of the setups micro; now my wife knows that i'm not the only one with the bait monkey on my back