Sign in to follow this  
Big O Tires Angler

Suggestions on lipless crankbait rod???

So I'm in the market for a lipless crankbait rod and want to know what you guys are using and what you might recommend! Price really isn't too much of an issue, but overall weight and balance is!

I've been looking at either the Loomis CBR843 or CBR845, but can't really decide which one I want to buy first. I need this rod for a trip I'm making at the end of the month!

I'll be taking this rod out into the CA Delta as well as a Norcal lake with lots of submerged trees and plan to throw 1/2 oz Red Eye Shads, XR50s, etc.

The CBR 845 is a tremedous rod that handles a wide range of cranks.  That said, you can get away with a longer rod for throwing traps.  Traps aren't a bait you generally throw around cover.  Long casts cover more water and equate to more fish when flinging a trap.  My pick?  CBR 906....

Well, I'm a big fan of G.Loomis, but there are a variety of applications

where the St. Croix Avid is a suitable substitute at much lower price. I

have a AVC70MM for light and medium crankbaits in general, but

especially Rat-L-Trap type lures. The way this rod loads up can really

launch a lure. The Moderate Action is what you would expect, but once

the rod is loaded, there is power to handle any freshwater fish.

The AVC70MM is fairly light, but more importantly, well balanced. Mine

is matched with a Chronarch and #12 Yo-Zuri Hybrid.

8-)

Castaway makes a specialty rod for this, i dont know the proper name for it. but i know it has a picture of a rat l trap on it.

Price really isn't too much of an issue, but overall weight and balance is!

sounds like the g.loomis CBR 845C to me! i have one and use it for tossing 1/2 oz. red eye shads on the delta. the rod itself is a relatively light 4.6 oz. and balance feels great to me with a variety of my reels mounted. i understand your dilemma though...i think i'd rather have the 843 for this application only but the 845 is more versatile for bigger baits. i like the natural's suggestion for a 906...i wish i had one of those too.

Loomis all the way. I have a few of each; the 843 and 845 and love them both for lipless baits among other things.

Grass = 845 gets the nod.

Open water = 843 gets the nod.

845 is a bit heavier handling baits up to 1 ounce, helps if you have to rip the bait through the grass. The 843 has more give, though is rated up to 5/8 which handles most lipless baits.

Whichever you choose, you won't be disappointed. Heck, if you can afford both, I'd say get one of each. :)

Seems like most are in favor of the CBR845...how is the action compared to the 843? I've heard that the different action between a Medium and Medium-Heavy Crucial cranking stick is a pretty big jump...is it the same for the Loomis?