Sign in to follow this  
harshman

Ambassadeur Reel Question

I was given an older Ambassadeur 5501 - C3 reel today. It is stainless steel with 010304 stamped on the reel foot. I have two questions about the reel if anyone can help me.

1. It seems that the anti-reverse does not always want to work properly, sometimes I can reel it in reverse a half a turn then it grabs. I am fairly good at cleaning/repairing low pro reels but this is the first of the round style I have opened up. How can I fix the anti reverse?

2. Are there any upgrade parts out there that I can add to this reel to help it's performance.

Thanks

Harshman

The older Ambassadeur and most other reels were not made with an instant anti-reverse bearing, but rather a anti-reverse paw which would allow back play in the handle.

I was given an older Ambassadeur 5501 - C3 reel today. It is stainless steel with 010304 stamped on the reel foot.
Yea he has a newer version that has a one-way bearing pack or IAR....
1. It seems that the anti-reverse does not always want to work properly, sometimes I can reel it in reverse a half a turn then it grabs. I am fairly good at cleaning/repairing low pro reels but this is the first of the round style I have opened up. How can I fix the anti reverse?
You need to clean the one-way bearing and inner sleave, dry well, then lightly swab (take a q-tip wetted with bearing oil) the pins in the one-way bearing with reel oil. Re-assemble, making sure your drag spring washers are in the right orientation like so (), and you should have a solid IAR and good drags....
2. Are there any upgrade parts out there that I can add to this reel to help it's performance.
Yes spool bearings to ABEC5, worm gear and bearings, etc.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

Thansk guys, I'll tear her apart tonight and see what I can fix.

I gotta get some upgrades for this puppy, it is too neat of a reel to let go to waste.

Harshman

Actually all you need is to clean her up really well. Do an extra special job on the spool bearings, change out the pawl, clean and re-lube the medium cog or idler gear that drive's the worm gear....Use as little grease as possible, and only single drops of oil...

Don't use (NEVER) any grease in the IAR, only oil and do it the way I described above...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!