Sign in to follow this  
tradequities

shimano 1000 series reels + 8 lb fluorocarbon

anyone use a shimano 1000 size reel (quantum 10 size, etc...) with 8 lb fluorocarbon?  how do the tight coils affect memory and performance?  any input would be appreciated.. thanks

anyone use a shimano 1000 size reel (quantum 10 size, etc...) with 8 lb fluorocarbon? how do the tight coils affect memory and performance? any input would be appreciated.. thanks

The line can 't get more memory than the one it already has ( it has to do with the properties of the line ), the problem here is not the memory but the coiling. A 1000 size reel has a relatively small low diameter spool, thus, when you spool in the line you 'll be wrapping it around a low diameter spool, the coils will be tighter, smaller and more if you compare them to a line spooled in a reel with a larger spool with more diameter.

Small tight coils do affect the performance. You will loose some casting distance and with a stiff line like fluoro the coils persist for a longer period of time.

I suggest giving Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft a try. I have my

Stella 1000FA spooled with #4 (.009" diameter, 8.5 lb test).

I also recommend treating all line with KVD Line & Lure

Conditioner for even better performance.

Regarding Raul's comments, these are simply technical points

you can't get around unless you go with braid. Even the #4

Ultra Soft will coil when stored on a reel. This will resolve itself

after a few casts, but initially it is still noticeable.

8-)

I have two Sahara 750's that I have spool with hi-seas 6lb Fluoro line, and an old 1000 series sonara I had.   I think 8lb would be tough for a reel that small.   The strength on this 6lb is unreal, I have put other 8lb fluoros on a 2000 series, thats the smallest I've wanted to go.

Even with the small spool, the memory on it is pretty much non-exsistent.  I don't load up the spool completely. I leave a little gap, maybe a little less than an 1/8" to the lip of the spool.  I put some kvd conditioner on it every once in a while, and it lasts a long time for me.  

Hope this helps!